Quiz green ticks and red crosses dilemma

Quiz green ticks and red crosses dilemma

Bởi tom tang -
Số lượng các câu trả lời: 15

Hi Everyone, please help me out, I've been trying to resolve this issue but is driving me crazy. It could be very simple.

We have migrated a course from 1.9 to Moodle 2.2. 

When the students take the quiz module, one quiz has feedback that showed green tick icons and red cross icon. However all the other quiz module doesn't show these graphic icons.

Why????

I have looked at both quiz setting and they are both identical.

thx for your help

Trung bình điểm đánh giá: -
Để phản hồi tới tom tang

Re: Quiz green ticks and red crosses dilemma

Bởi Joseph Rézeau -
Hình của Core developers Hình của Particularly helpful Moodlers Hình của Plugin developers Hình của Testers Hình của Translators

Hi Tom,

Your post is too vague. Please specify the question types that have green ticks and red crosses and please post screenshots showing a) what was displayed in 1.9 and b) what is displayed instead in 2.2.

Joseph

Để phản hồi tới Joseph Rézeau

Bởi tom tang -

Thx Joseph, in general the question types are multiple choice and true/false. Screen pics is below, both capture in Moodle 2.2 - same course, different quiz.

Due to confidential reasons, I have blurred the text but it should explain my dilemma.

With ticks and crosses (Moodle 2.2)

With out ticks and crosses (Moodle 2.2)

Để phản hồi tới tom tang

Bởi Joseph Rézeau -
Hình của Core developers Hình của Particularly helpful Moodlers Hình của Plugin developers Hình của Testers Hình của Translators

Thanks for the screenshots, Tom. Sorry I had misread your original post and I thought you were complaining about differences between quiz/questions display behaviour in Moodle 1.9 on the one hand and Moodle 2.2 on the other hand.

Now I understand that your problem seems to be with different display of ticks and crosses at different stages of question attempt in Moodle 2.2.

It is clear from your screenshots that the 2 questions in screenshot #2 are "not graded", hence the ticks and crosses are not displayed, of course. You should ask yourself why those questions attempts appear as "not graded" in this special case. What is the "How questions behave" setting in your quiz? If you attempt those last 2 questions as teacher in the Preview questions window, can you get the ticks and crosses? I can.

Joseph

Bởi Tim Hunt -
Hình của Core developers Hình của Documentation writers Hình của Particularly helpful Moodlers Hình của Peer reviewers Hình của Plugin developers

Actually, I think the problem is that the quiz is set to be not graded.

On the Edit quiz page, make sure that the Maximum grade at the top, and the maximum mark for each question are all non-zero.

Để phản hồi tới Tim Hunt

Bởi Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks Tim, by "not graded" I suppose you mean the quiz is set to "Maximum Grade = 0". Actually, upon inquiring into this puzzling "ticks and crosses" display, I have come to the following conclusion.

If the "Marked out of" setting of individual questions is set to non-zero, "ticks and crosses" will be displayed for those questions, irrespective of whether the "Maximum Grade" setting of a Quiz is set to zero or a non-zero value.

This behaviour looks OK to me, since it is valuable for the student to have the display of "ticks and crosses", even if for some reason the teacher has decided that that particular Quiz will not be graded ("Maximum Grade" = 0).

Joseph

Bởi tom tang -

Tim/ Joseph,

Thanks for that, I took your advice and it works. the solution seems so simple but it confused me for a few hours looking at every setting and reviewing. 

I gues, my opinion is there could be an easier way to turn off ticks and crosses as this  solution of setting the grading is not intuitive to apply the icons.

Để phản hồi tới tom tang

Bởi Joseph Rézeau -

tom "... my opinion is there could be an easier way to turn off ticks and crosses as this  solution of setting the grading is not intuitive to apply the icons."

I beg to disagree. As I said in my previous post, the present behaviour is quite logical as it is. No need for a further option, there are already (too) many options in the Quiz and questions settings.

Joseph

Bởi tom tang -

Yes I agree that there are currently alot of options for the quiz setting, some can be confusing to work out what they really do from yr normal average teacher/ trainer.

However, does that mean currently, to have ticks and crosses icon displayed - grading for the question must be a non-zero? What happens if a trainer/ teacher just wants the participants to see the correct answer without setting a mark/ grade for that question?

Would it be more intuitive to just check a box that says "Turn on Ticks and Crosses for this Question". I guess coming from a course designer/ teacher pt of view, it would be easier to set this and know that this function is what it does.

Just a thought.

Để phản hồi tới tom tang

Bởi Joseph Rézeau -

tom " What happens if a trainer/ teacher just wants the participants to see the correct answer without setting a mark/ grade for that question?"

Well, you just give a mark to the questions (any mark will do) and set the quiz "maximum grade" to zero, as explained in my previous post.

Joseph

Bởi mart van der niet -

Hi Joseph,

Could you explain what you mean by ""Marked out of" setting of individual questions". I can't find this anywhere!

Bởi mart van der niet -

Hi,

I just upgraded to 2.4, and now all red/green ticks and crosses don't appear anymore. Anyone seen this also?

(quizz settings are as displayed below)

Thanks in advance,

Mart van der Niet

File đính kém Untitled.png
Để phản hồi tới mart van der niet

Bởi Tim Hunt -
Hình của Core developers Hình của Documentation writers Hình của Particularly helpful Moodlers Hình của Peer reviewers Hình của Plugin developers

Moodle 2.4 had new designs for all the icons, but there should be no change in the way that the ticks and crosses work from the user's point of view. Barabara and Fred from Moodle HQ did re-name the icons, but I cannot see why that would break anything.

Để phản hồi tới mart van der niet

Bởi Joseph Rézeau -

Hi mart,

I do not see this problem in moodle 2.4. If you are not using the standard theme, try switching to it and see if the problem still appears. Also, please provide a screenshot of what your students see on the Quiz review page.

Joseph

Bởi mart van der niet -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the pointer to the editing screen (I was looking at the order and paging screen).

I think my problem is that I thought that the ticks/crosses also appear when doing a quiz in Adaptive mode. Obviously a false recollection: crosses & ticks only in review mode (?)