Transition from Blackboard to Moodle

Transition from Blackboard to Moodle

by Man Tritsi -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there,

We are a group of master students at the University of Twente, working on the Business Case Development of the university. 

We are using Blackboard right now as a course management system. The purpose of our research is to explore all the advantages and disadvantages that this transition (from Blackboard to Moodle) may have. 

Can you please give us your insights?

What are the total costs of running Moodle though a university (around 12.000 employees and students)?

What are the inderect costs of Moodle (training, hosting, installation etc.)?

Which is better regarding the functionality and interface between those 2 systems?

Any costs-benefits-advantages-disadvantages tha you can think/know about them it would be very helpful for us. 

We are expecting your contribution as it will be necessary for us to support the transition to Moodle, to the board of our university!!! The more professional it will be the more possibility to select Moodle instead of Blackboard.

Help us to help you!!!! smile 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Man Tritsi

Re: Transition from Blackboard to Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Man... there is this perspective from Colin Matheson, it is a reasonably honest attept at answering some questions about the topic. Here is one forum on it.  Here is another forum, but Carleton University in Canada and Flinders University in Australia. I think these things speak for themselves.

In reply to Man Tritsi

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I used Blackboard for around 5-6 years, and have used Moodle for 5-6 years.  I have the ability to use either system.  I want to give my students the best, and most stable CMS environment.  There is now way that I would want to go back to Blackboard.  However, you will find arguments for and against Blackboard.

Colin pointed you to a number of good discussions and information.

In reply to Man Tritsi

by Man Tritsi -

Thank you very much for your opinions, it is a good start to quantify the information that they provide in order to use them in the report

In reply to Man Tritsi

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

There are many differences between the two products.

For example, as far as I know, Blackboard does not have any "regrade" feature for quizzes.  If the instructor makes a mistake on a quiz question, there is no easy way to fix this.

Additionally, Blackboard does not allow an exception to a quiz item.  If a student really needs more time, there is no way to accomodate this situation.  WebCT had this feature, but recall that Blackboard bought, then killed WebCT.

The grade book in Moodle is by far more flexible than Blackboard.

Discussions are better in Moodle, and they work. I have some of my students who still complain about Blackboard disucussions disappearing (in other instructor courses).

The question database in Moodle is correctly implemented.  Blackboard's method (sucks) is less favorable.

In Blackboard, there is no quick way for an instructor to see what students have been doing.  In fact, there is no easy way to see if a student is currently online.

Well, I could go on and on.  You will have to let me know what you are more interested in knowing.