Unable to Format Text

Unable to Format Text

by Gregory Wollf -
Number of replies: 6

I am running Moodle 2.0 and am trying to build online courses in Turabian format but the standard Moodle text options don't seem to allow the type of formatting I need to properly reference sources. (see picture below) Any ideas from the forum community would be welcome.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gregory Wollf

Re: Unable to Format Text

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Gregory,

"I [...] am trying to build online courses in Turabian format"

I have no idea what you are trying to do. I don't think the "Turabian format" (first time I've ever heard of it) has anything to do with the Moodle Lesson activity.mixed

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gregory Wollf -

Sorry, my question was unclear.

I am trying to put text into a lesson and make it line up with the Turabian format for bibliographies. (Turabian is specific format style like APA or MLA)

What I need the text editor to do is have the first line of the bibliographic entries not indent but all lines underneath indented by one margin. (see picture provided)

When I try to do this the text editor either indents the entire entry or it puts a large space in between the first line and the second line.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Something like this? (reduce width of your browser window to see the full effect):

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi pede ipsum, interdum ac, tempus vitae, mollis at, ante. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Morbi justo. Cras sit amet nisl. Suspendisse potenti. Nam egestas nisi vel libero. Nulla facilisi. Duis fermentum orci tincidunt quam. Vivamus et leo.

Donec hendrerit, erat ut gravida pharetra, quam augue pharetra risus, in laoreet enim elit non ante. Nunc ut diam. Curabitur sapien nunc, scelerisque a, sagittis ac, tempor ac, nisl. Etiam posuere, felis non consequat sollicitudin, libero quam scelerisque nisl, a tempor massa ante non quam.

Nullam tincidunt. Praesent condimentum. Cras iaculis. Mauris ornare, ligula vitae scelerisque aliquet, turpis risus varius risus, eu ultrices purus quam ac pede. Nullam pulvinar libero vitae erat.

by Gregory Wollf -

That is exactly what I need, yes.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Here we go...

1.- In Moodle' HTML editor, type your complete bibliography list, entering paragraphs where needed.

2.- When done, click the HTML button on the 3rd line of buttons in the editor to go to the HTML source code. Be careful when changing anything there!

3.- Right at the beginning of your "bibliography" list, enter this CSS element:

<div style="padding-left: 22px ;text-indent: -22px ;">

4.- At the very end of your bibliography list, don't forget to close that </div> tag!

Of course you can change the 22px value as you wish. This will work as expected, but each bibliography reference will be contained inside a paragraph, so each paragraph will be separated from the next by the standard paragraph vertical spacing as shown in the Lorem ipsum dolor sample in my previous message (unlike your sample screenshot).

If you absolutely need your lines of references to have no vertical spacing, or rather a "line vertical spacing" rather than a "paragraph vertical spacing", this is possible but would entail slightly modifying your moodle theme's CSS stylesheet. Tell me and I'll tell you how.

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Gregory: did you try out my suggested solution? Did it work for you?