Conditional or Open - STUDENT MOTIVATION

Conditional or Open - STUDENT MOTIVATION

by Tim F -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

We are developing a space for language learners and have come across a serious dilemma.  Originally our plan was to create a linear model in that the student can't access activity B until passing activity A, etc.  But we have found that upon failure our users are more likely to leave the site.

*Our users are not required to complete the activities, our site is an "extracurricular" activity with no connection to an official school, etc.

Now we're toying with a model where a student can choose between A.1 , A.2 and A.3 but they must complete all 3 before moving on to section B...where they will be able to choose the order to do B.1 , B.2 and B.3

From a motivational perspective I was wondering if there was any input as to a successful model for this situation.  Many studies show that when people are empowered to make a choice and feel like they are in control then they are more motivated on the task.

And now I am thinking of eliminating 99% of the conditional activities and opening up all activities and trying to design the feedback to offer a more unique user experience and guide the user through the courses...

any input as to practical ways that developers have found to organise content to motivate and engage users very much appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim F

Re: Conditional or Open - STUDENT MOTIVATION

by Paul Left -

If the forced sequence seems arbitrary that can be de-motivating. If learners see its value (ie helping them build understanding) it can work. 

Without seeing the details of what you do, hard to comment. But often the choice works better the other way round. ie they choose the section to work on (A or B) but within each section a fixed sequence might be used to help develop understanding. 

Very dependent on the learners too - if they are autonomous learners I might suggest a sequence but I wouldn't force it. If they need 'hand-holding' a conditional sequence can be helpful. Of course you could give them the choice of which mode to work in.