Testing and QA

Image (JPEG) filetype cannot be accepted.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Image (JPEG) filetype cannot be accepted.
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi

In the course of testing MDLQA-2048 for Moodle 2.3 I have come across an unexplainable bug.

Step 3. says "Complete the form by typing some text into every box, including an image in each box which has a text editor, such as the question text."

So I tried to include images, but the file picker keeps telling me that images (JPEG, GIF) are "not accepted". This problem is not restricted to questions editing, of course, I am getting the same bug when trying to insert images in any Moodle 2.3 activity.

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: Image (JPEG) filetype cannot be accepted.
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Is this your own Moodle 2.3? I tried on the QA Moodle (if you mean this one http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLQA-2048 ) and it worked ok - I was able to upload and view jpgs

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

this is my own moodle local test site

Moodle 2.3dev (Build: 20120525)

Windows 7 64bits

Same error message is displayed in Chrome 19.0.1084.52 m; MSIE 9 and Firefox 12.0 when trying to upload an image file from my computer in the file picker.

Joseph

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Update...

The problem seems to come from a change introduced in file <moodle>/repository/upload/lib.php in moodle 2.3dev (lines 172 and seq.) If I replace those lines in 2.3:

if ($this->mimetypes != '*') {
            // check filetype
            $filemimetype = file_storage::mimetype($_FILES[$elname]['tmp_name']);
            if (!in_array($filemimetype, $this->mimetypes)) {
                throw new moodle_exception('invalidfiletype', 'repository', '', get_mimetype_description(array('filename' => $_FILES[$elname]['name'])));
            }
        }

with the equivalent lines in moodle 2.2:

if ($this->mimetypes != '*') {
            // check filetype
            $filemimetype = mimeinfo('type', $_FILES[$elname]['name']);
            if (!in_array($filemimetype, $this->mimetypes)) {
                if ($sm->string_exists($filemimetype, 'mimetypes')) {
                    $filemimetype = get_string($filemimetype, 'mimetypes');
                }
                throw new moodle_exception('invalidfiletype', 'repository', '', $filemimetype);
            }
        }

everything works fine.

Weird,

Joseph

Picture of Tim Barker

Joseph, this issue was raised and fixed last week, I have tested this on the latest build and it is no longer a bug. I do not get this error in the html editor fields.

What build are you on?

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

@Tim,

I am on Moodle 2.3dev (Build: 20120525) and still getting this annoying bug. Can someone else confirmt that they have the bug?

Joseph

Picture of Bente Olsen
Ang: Re: Image (JPEG) filetype cannot be accepted.

I just went through MDLQA-2048 on qa.moodle.net with Firefox 12. I could upload jpg's, but after saving I could not see them in the question preview. Then I opened the preview in Chromium18.0.1025.151 , where I could se the image placeholder.

In forum I could upload and see both a png, a gif and a jpg image.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: Ang: Re: Image (JPEG) filetype cannot be accepted.

Hi Bente,

Yes, I've seen your comment in MDLQA-2048, but for me this is more serious, it's a total blocker since I cannot upload any image or media file. I've opened MDL-33391.

Joseph

Picture of Lael ...

I encountered the same issue with a download of the zip package on Monday. Tried uploading a file of jpg, png, and zip and got the same response. I was using the third party lightroom module to see if it worked with 2.3, but would assume the issue is the filepicker as per Joseph's experience. I can post build numbers etc tomorrow.

Lael

Picture of Lael ...

Moodle 2.3dev (Build: 20120525) is what I was using..

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Yes, but... are you - like me - using a moodle site that is installed on Windows (and which Windows version?).

Joseph

Picture of Lael ...

Hi Joseph,

Yes I am - testing on server 2007. Sorry, I posted that on the tracker, but not on this thread.

Lael

Picture of Ryan Scharfer

Hi Joseph,

Maybe you can help me out.  I posted a couple of questions on my own, but havent received any responses, so I thought I would respond to yours.  : )  I m a beginner and I am working with Moodle for the first time.  Version 2.5. I wanted to create my first course, but I can't upload any files at all -- pdf, doc, ppt... with file picker.  In fact, I just tried to attached a screen shot of the error message I receive, but got a different error message -- that the file type is too big. But that message seems to occur only within this forum..

I would appreciate it if you could help!

Thank you.

Picture of Emmanuel Mbilu

Hi, I had the same problem but I succeeded by doing the following:

I had 15 users that I wanted to upload their pictures. I selected all the fifteen users and right clicked and then send to compressed (zipped) folder.

I went to ny moodle site and uploaded the compressed folder. It worked just fine!!

If you do just as I did, you will succeed!

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Glad to announce that a fix for this bug (MDL-33391) has been found and is currently being tested.

Joseph

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Bug is fixed.

Picture of Teemu Koistinen

Hi

I am getting same error (filetype cannot be accepted) when trying to drag and drop image to Edit profile -page.

Same image uploads just fine using Upload a file -dialogue.

Chrome 20, Moodle 2.3 (Build: 20120625)

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

I do not see any problem using Moodle 2.3.4+ (Build: 20130208).

Joseph

Picture of Itamar Tzadok
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

It seems there is still such a bug in 2.2.4 with file manager. MDL-35059

Toneee.com Canvas Avatar

Here it is a year later and this bug still seems to surface. I tried to upload or link to a GIF without success. Is this actually due to upload folder permissions?