Going from php4.* to php5.*

Going from php4.* to php5.*

by Farrokh Mirbaha -
Number of replies: 11

Greetings all,

I have moodle 1.9.16 installed and running in my godaddy hosted website with students enrolled and work in progress. My website currently uses php4.*

Just now, I was informed that I can change that to php5.2

If I went ahead and did that, would my current installation still continue to work without disruption or any problems?

Thank you for your time and be assured that I did a fair amount of research in "using moodle" section for an answer to my question before posting it here.

With much regards to the great moodle community,

Farrokh 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Farrokh Mirbaha

Best hosting site to teach moodle

by Jason Becker -

Hey, Farrokh!

As I'm beginning to start up my own Moodle courses, I was wondering, in your opinion, the best hosting website that you've used for Moodle?  I see you're currently using GoDaddy, is that correct?  Is that free of charge or do they charge something per month?  Just wondering as I'm searching for some good hosting sites, ones in which I prefer are free and effective at the same time.  Thanks!

In reply to Jason Becker

Re: Best hosting site to teach moodle

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Free and robust enough to host Moodle for teaching (particularly if you are charging for it) rather than a small testing site might be difficult smile

I use a host in the UK that has given me great service, has a one-click installer (although I tend to do it myself) and charges around £4 per month. That's after some not so good experiences with some other hosts who claimed to be able to host moodle, but as soon as you actually run it they say you are using too many resources on a shared server and they're going to pull your site unless you pay for a bigger virtual private server - I told them to pull it and moved to another host smile

Just a caution that not all low cost deals are as goos as they may seem, even for a small install!

Richard

In reply to Jason Becker

by Dan Trouten -

Hello! I've used GoDaddy and switched to HostGator because of support issues. I've been with HostGator for several years and have no complaints. I use a VPS and it is expandable so if I need more room or more bandwidth it's no hassle at all.

In reply to Jason Becker

by Floyd Saner -

Jason,

A first decision to make is whether or not you need a VPS or can get along on a shared server.  My experience is that shared hosting supports very few simultaneous users (< 15), especially if you run Moodle 2.x.

I've used BlueHost for shared hosting and MyHosting for VPS.  Very satisfied with both.

-Floyd

In reply to Jason Becker

by Wayne Day -

Hi, again, Jason!

One of the things that will drive your decision is the question "How many students do you want to be able to handle simultaneously at the period when most people are logging in?"

If you're going to be supporting 500-1,000 people simultaeously, you're probably looking at a dedicated server, or a high level virtual private server.  If you're talking 10-15 people simultaneously at peak periods, you would probably be able to get along with an "unlimited" hosting account. 

I'll second the recommendation for you to look seriously at HostGator (www.hostgator.com).  A baby account with HG on a one-year basis (no contract past the 1-year, but they do have a 45 day money-back guarentee) would run about $5.50/mo.  Add the current 25% discount coupon, and that knocks it down to about $4/mo.   That isn't "free", but I can guarentee that if you're doing this commercially, you WILL NOT be happy with the so-called free hosting accounts. They make their money by inserting their ads onto your website, and that isn't always pretty. Plus the service on a paid account (especially HG's) is worth it's weight in gold.  I've used them a couple of times (one paid, and one comp'ed by HG on a special deal for non-profits) and am about to set up another account with them to let a few of the teachers at my school get some experience with 2.2 - hopefully (at least that's what the rumors say) our district will be upgrading next school year, and some of my friends want to get a head start.

Wayne

In reply to Wayne Day

by Jason Becker -

Wayne,

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look at HostGator for my host.  In terms of its price, that's an awesome deal and I'd be willing to spend that a month for effective results.  Do they also advertise your product, in this case, being Moodle?  How does that all work? 

Also, does HostGator have a plug-in for payment, or do I just use Paypal from Moodle?  And, if you currently charge for your classes, how much do you charge?  Since I'll be pitching my own communication courses on Moodle, I was just wondering what a good price would be to start at?  Thanks Wayne, talk to you soon. 

In reply to Jason Becker

by Wayne Day -

Jason,

Nope - HostGator is merely the host (meaning they run your server, make sure it stays up all the time, provides backups on a regular schedule, and helps with all of the technical issues you have with the server, database software like MySQL and PHP) but they're not Moodle experts (though I've found that some of the tech support people knew a surprising amount of information about Moodle. The advertising and promotion of your web site (you do get a full-fledged web site along with the ability to ad Moodle) is all your own.

I'm not sure if they use Paypal - I've always used a major credit card with them.  You can probably work something out with the Billing department if you don't have a credit card and they don't have Paypal service, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give that option.

As far as charging for your courses... I have no earthly idea about how you'd go about setting a retail price.  I'd probably think of how much it cost me to create the course, how much time I'd spend supporting a student on average, and guess at how many student's I'd have in a six moth period to guess how much it was going to cost me to do the course (obviously  setting my time worth some amount of money).  That'd at least give me an idea of what the fixed costs were, then go from there.  (Can you tell I've done a couple of entreprenuership courses? wink ).

Oh, forgot to mention that with HG, if you sign up for a longer time, the price per month goes down.  And if you just want to dab your toes in for a couple of months, you'll pay a bit more per month, then if you extend the contract, your monthly price will go down.

I'm probably going to be settng up another account this week for myself and some of my compatriots at school who want to get a bit of experience playing with the latest Moodle versions - I've got 2.2.2-1 on my laptop, using one of Bitnami's stack loaders (puts the whole thing, SQL database, apache server, and the latest version of Moodle onto an .exe package that you and use on your laptop - it WILL connect to the internet and can be used as a Moodle server, but being run on a laptop, would be slower than the dickens and not suitable for more than 1 or 2 people online simultaneously.  But it's good to play in your own sandbox - my buds, though, have no interest in becoming Moodle administrators, so I'll play that role on my HG account, and let them play the teacher and studen roles.  And since there won't be more than 10 or so teachers, with 2 or 3 courses each, the HG baby hatchling hosting server will be sized just right.

Be sure and look at the HG user forums to get an idea of what you'll need to do to install the latest version of Moodle - you'll have to use the latest version of PHP, which isn't a problem, but is not the PHP that's used by default on your hosting server.

Wayne 

In reply to Wayne Day

by Jason Becker -

Wayne,

Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.  It sounds like HostGator works for you and a popular hosting site.  I'm definitely going to consider it and probably use it.  For me, after doing some research, I'll probably keep the cost of my courses affordable and one that doesn't stray students away from taking my courses, but at the same time, I want the courses to be worth their time, while being able to apply what they learn in the class into the real world. 

I've been trying to get an idea of what others charge for their Moodle courses and the success they've been having throughout their time using Moodle, so that has helped, but at the same time, every discipline is different.

Also, as I've had discussions with other Moodlers, what is the best way, in your opinion, to attract new students?  Since I won't be teaching at a college, I am trying to find some unique and effective ways to attract new students to my courses on Moodle.  Any thoughts?  Thanks, talk to you soon. 

In reply to Jason Becker

by Farrokh Mirbaha -

Hi Jason,

As far as I know, Godaddy offers no service free of charge. I have been with them for quite a while now, and since I haven't shopped around lately,  I can't tell you how reasonable their prices are- if at all.

I do like their tech support though.

Also remember: nothing in life is for free. 

Good luck!

by Jason Becker -

Farrokh,

Thanks for letting me know this.  It definitely helps me in my search for hosting sites for Moodle. 

Re: Going from php4.* to php5.*

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle has a minimum requirement Farrokh, but I've never seen a maximum one so you should be fine. I have 1.9 running alongside 2.3 on my localhost and that has the latest 5.x php on it to support 2.3 and the 1,9 runs fine - do a full backup first anyway though, as you should before any significant changes 

HTH

Richard