Installation help

1and1, Linux, MySQL, Apache: fatal error

Picture of paul hernandez
1and1, Linux, MySQL, Apache: fatal error

Greetings,

When running install.php for Moodle 2.2.3, right after I enter the Database info I recieve the following message:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 8912896) (tried to allocate 88634 bytes) in /homepages/38/d260013955/htdocs/onlineschoolbus/moodle/lib/outputlib.php on line 626

There are so many posts to look at about Out of Memory errors, but I can not find one that has a clear resolution.

1and1 is my web host (Linux, MySQL 5, Apache, PHP 5.4.3)

Please let me know what additional info you need to support me.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Steve Howe
Re: 1and1, Linux, MySQL, Apache: fatal error

Paul, I have had the same problem but in a different directory and on a different line.
I have been backwards and forwards with 1and1 over this and have the following info:

If I load the same system onto my 1&1 server... no problem.
I had recently upgraded my 1&1 account to the 'unlimited' profile.
Apparently my new 1&1 profile has a default php memory of 47mb.

However, when Moodle is loaded onto my clients 1&1 shared server, there is the fatal memory error. This is due to lack of php memory on this server which is @ 8mb... the same as yours according to your error message.

1&1 advised me to upgrade the package (which is minimal) because the php memory is fixed for that service on the shared server.

So... to overcome your problem, just upgrade your 1&1 package to the 'unlimited' package which currently stands at @ £6.99 a month but the first 6 months are free.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of paul hernandez
Re: SOLVED: 1and1, Linux, MySQL, Apache: fatal error

Thanks Steve!

I upgraded to 1and1 Unlimited and that fixed the memory issue.

All that was left was to set the MySQL default to UTF-8-unicode.

Installation complete!

Picture of Christopher Blackburn

How did you set your default to UTF-8-unicode????

Gmads

Hi Christopher,

Select the utf8_general_ci collation when you are about to create the database (via phpMyAdmin):

phpmyadmin new db create

Picture of Allan Leitner

Thank you this was very helpful. I am also on 1and1 and did a fresh install of 2.4 and I am running into memery barriers.

- Front Page Settings

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 27000832) (tried to allocate 33613 bytes) in .../lib/outputcomponents.php on line 1053

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 27000832) (tried to allocate 31061 bytes) in .../blocks/settings/renderer.php on line 80

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 27000832) (tried to allocate 73802 bytes) in .../lib/outputcomponents.php on line 1053

- Plugins overview

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 26738688) (tried to allocate 232762 bytes) in .../lib/outputrenderers.php on line 2519

- Search

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 26738688) (tried to allocate 1792 bytes) in .../lib/questionlib.php on line 203

I am wondering if there is some other work around that would bypass this problem without upgrading my 1and1 package. Any ideas?

Is there a way to get Moddle 2.4 to use less memory?

Picture of Allan Leitner

After several hours of trying work arounds I updated to a unlimited account and all my issues are resolved.