Cannot connect to database...... etc

Cannot connect to database...... etc

by Marc Veenstra -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I have been running Moodle for a year on Server 2003 with IIS6, PHP 4.3.8,MySQL 4.0.20d and Moodle 1.3.4. During that time the server was taken offline and reformatted and Moodle was successfully reinstalled and configured.

I have recently talked management into purchasing a new whiz bang server to host all our web services (Intranet, Portal, Moodle). I thought it would be a good time to update the versions we were using so I downloaded PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 4.1.10 and Moodle 1.4.3. I followed my notes from previous installations and suddenly found myself getting 'cannot connect to database... etc' when I tried using the installation page (install.php). I have searched through these pages for guidance but none of the offered advice helped (I even formatted the server and started from scratch). In the end I removed MySQL 4.1.10 and installed MySQL 4.0.20d and tried again. Now when I use the installation page I can connect to the database and continue with the install (all the tables created successfully).

Obviously something significant changed from version 4.0 to 4.1 that affects the setup of Moodle. Two changes I noticed were a different installation path (c:\program files\...... instead of c:\mysql) and it wouldn't allow root to have a blank password (which is good) whereas the older version has a blank password by default.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how fix it?

Marc.

PS. When in trouble try an older version!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Veenstra

Re: Cannot connect to database...... etc

by Priscilla Christian -
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your input. I thought I deleted my message today before anyone saw it. I discovered right away that I had tried to point Moodle to an incorrect database name. My fault. Once I found my mistake, Moodle installed perfectly.

I am testing a number of methods to put groups of people in touch with one another. Not sure if Moodle will be my final choice but it does have some very nice features. I've installed a beta phpBB forum and hope to install a pnphpBB and think I will investigate a few blogs like Moveable Type. Haven't begun to think about wikis but will. I want to control the look and feel of my board.

What I hope to accomplish is create a virtual community for an alumni association. I like the calendar and upcoming events blocks being on the page. I wish I could remove the "courses" link. Perhaps I will find a way to do that soon too. The big goal will be keeping out unpaid members. We need to raise funding to keep the site alive and to raise $$$ for scholarships.

Funny thing, I used to work (webmaster) for a distance learning company years ago. If Moodle had been around then, we would still be in business!

Again, thanks for your reply.
Priscilla