500 Internal Server Error on course restore (of a backup that worked a week ago!)

500 Internal Server Error on course restore (of a backup that worked a week ago!)

by Tore Høgås -
Number of replies: 7

We use many template courses that I backup and restore to prepare for a new term of courses regularly.

Last week I restored backup of some courses, and did not encounter any problems. Today, I tried restoring the same backup files, and although nothing has changed in the Moodle environment nor the server (AFAIK - is hosted) I have nothing but problems:

• Every time I click "Restore" on a backup file that worked last week, a couple of seconds pass, and I get a 500 Internal Server Error.
  • If I try backing up the courses again to create a new backup file, I get to step 1 Initial settings, but when I click "Next" the page 2. Schema settings only loads partially - there is top navigation but the rest is blank.

So far, I have:

• Checked the admin dashboard of my hosted server - nothing seems amiss.
  • Increased the PHP memory to the max - as someone suggested on this forum.
  • Turned on Developer debugging messages (as someone suggested on this forum), but none appeared in the logs.

Environment:

• Moodle 2.0.1 (build 20110105)
  • PHP 5.2.17
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tore Høgås

Re: 500 Internal Server Error on course restore (of a backup that worked a week ago!)

by Tore Høgås -

I just realized that my PHP version is not up to date, so I upgraded in my web host admin panel.

Then I checked that it was registered in Moodle admin -> Environment, and sure enough it now says version 5.2.8 is required and you are running 5.3.8.

Tried again to backup and to restore existing backups - same issues as in my original post.

In reply to Tore Høgås

Re: 500 Internal Server Error on course restore (of a backup that worked a week ago!)

by Nyree Williams -

Hi

I just read your post. I'm having the same problems. Have you tried an automatic backup? I've got this working but I still get the Internal server error message on manual backup

I'm using Moodle 2.23

Nyree

In reply to Tore Høgås

by Dan Vaughan -

we have the same problem using iis php 5.3.17 howevr this works fine on the server?

and nothing show in any of the error logs

In reply to Dan Vaughan

by Dan Vaughan -

moodle 2.3 i realised my first post was lacking in info the file uploads fine but when you click perfom restore the 500 error happens getting desperate nowsad

In reply to Tore Høgås

by Jon Fila -

Did you ever find a solution to this?

In reply to Tore Høgås

by Craig Richardson -

Hi Thomas, 

Is this specifically happening with one course? Is the course a certain size?

Thanks.

In reply to Craig Richardson

by dom nerus -

I have same problem...