Grainy images with LaTex

Grainy images with LaTex

by Steven Fabian -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, I'm relatively new to Linux and Moodle, and could use some help with the LaTex images. Specifically, the images being produced are coming out very grainy. Is this normal? Is there any way to get better images?

I'm running Moodle 2.2 on RHEL. I looked at the directions on:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/TeX_notation_filter#Installing_the_binaries

We have all checks for our paths to dvips, convert, and latex... We did install imagemagick by running: yum install imagemagick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Fabian

Re: Grainy images with LaTex

by Marc Grober -

It sounds like the kind of pixellation you get when you blow things up. If you did an install of a full tex live distro than chances are you might have some apps now handy wit which to test your latex instll outside of moodle, such as TexWorks or TexShop. You might want to compare your results with what you see as a result of these apps. You can also add the mathjax invocation to you additionalhtml using something other than doubledollars for mathjax and then compare the results side by side.

$$ \lim_{y\to23}x$$    $$(A-B) \cup (B-A) \cup (A \cap B) \subseteq A \cup B$$

In reply to Marc Grober

by Steven Fabian -

Marc,

Thank you for your response. It is interesting to note that the images that you have produced are much larger than the ones appearing on my site. In fact, all of my images seem to be somewhat small. When I go into the TeX FIlter Debugger and have it generate an image, the images are much larger and much more readable.  Any thoughts on what could cause this size discrepancy?

Possibly connected to this, when my system generates the image for:    \lim_{y\to23}x

it does so in a different layout...notice how the y line is subscript, but isn't below the limit... This happens in both the debugger and in a Moodle resource.

Image from Debugger

image in a page resource

In reply to Steven Fabian

by Marc Grober -

The tex I put in my forum post was parsed and display by the Moodle Tex filter (I don't think they have anthing special cooking in the forum.) I think the diff between the subscript being below or behind is whether the tex is inserted in display or inline mode (the more vertical expression reserved for display) You might try running mimetex from your browser address bar to see how it is formatted....  I am wondering if you are setting with mimetex as mimetex sets in display style,  and you are setting I think in inline.  I have to run and will not get time to look at this for a few days....  you really might wan to look at doing MathJax til you can figure this out.