manager of a category cannot create or edit categories

manager of a category cannot create or edit categories

by Christiane Mathy -
Number of replies: 4

I've installed Moodle 2.2 and we are creating categories and sub-categories.

I have assigned the "manager" role to my collegue for one of these categories, but she can't create or edit sub-categories, she only gets a blank page without any message or alert.

She has no other rights yet on Moodle.

Can you please let me know if you also encountered this problem? I've seen nothing on this forum, but if there was already a solution, please excuse me because I haven't found it...

Thanks a lot,

Christiane

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christiane Mathy

Re: manager of a category cannot create or edit categories

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

To be able to create a new category she would need the manager role assigned in the context of the site, not a category -have you tried that?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Christiane Mathy -

I tried, and it worked out, but I'd like to assign Manager capabilities in particular categories, not all site, like in Moodle 1.9... Is it still possible?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Christiane Mathy -

You're absolutely right, Mary... I read this in MoodleDocs

"There are many role assignments that do not make sense as the underlying functionality does not exist. Just because you give someone the "right" to do something does not guarantee that the interface or facility actually exists within the context that you have assigned that right. For example, you can assign a user the right to create new categories in the category context. However there is no interface within Moodle to do that (category creation is only available at the system level)."

Do you have any idea of how I could then have category managers? 

Thanks again!

In reply to Christiane Mathy

by Michael Lewis -

I can "live with" a category manager not being able to create sub-categories (though it doesn't make much sense to me logically for that not to be possible - programmatically may be a whole other issue).

I'd like to know if an existing category manager would assume rights to a newly-added or existing sub-category or if I'd need to add managers to each sub-category. Does anyone have experience of this?