dates of grades

dates of grades

by Lev Abramov -
Number of replies: 3

Dear all -

we have a situation which requires your help. We have a large student body (200+ at the moment that is going to increase to 2000+ pretty soon) who get a stipend for regular participation in the courses. One of the criteria for eligibility is the timeliness of taking/passing the monthly tests.

However, an Excel file of grades downloaded from the course site does not include the date on which the grade was received, by default. Looking at the dates when the tests were available is not an option, as many students get extensions and second chances.

I do have access to PHPmyAdmin - but this is not my job to obtain raw data, and no-one else will get access to it this way.

Question: How can we "convince" the system to include the date with each grade when exporting to Excel?

Thanks in advance!

Lev

In reply to Lev Abramov

Re: dates of grades

by Marty Soupcoff -

You list the timeliness of taking/passing the monthly tests as one of the criteria so this may not be the best or a long-term solution but could make it slightly easier in the short-term.

You could go into each quiz and export the results of the quiz instead of the gradebook. When exporting the results from a quiz, it does include a column of the date and time the quiz was started and completed. Maybe from there you can create a macro in Excel to pull these time stamps into another document with the rest of the grades, data, etc. you need.

Perhaps someone else will respond with a more permanent hack that is done in Moodle but this may meet your needs for now.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Lev Abramov

by Itamar Tzadok -

A similar thing has been done. See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=181110#p854259 for a related discussion. You need to hack the code to get the grade date into the excel export. Let me know if you need help in that. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Lev Abramov -

hi Itamar!

Yes, I certainly do need help about it. I am using Moodle 2.2 for this project (and will probably upgrade to 2.3 once it becomes available).

First of all, I assume that we are talking of a code hack. If so:

Could you post the following information please:

1. the filename to be hacked
  2. the code to be inserted
  3. the line # where it needs to be inserted
  4. preferably the line content itself, to ensure that the code gets inserted in the right spot

I will test it first on a sandbox installation (local - XAMPP), then copy the hacked file and upload it to the production server.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Lev