Journal not being restored from 1.9 into 2.x

Journal not being restored from 1.9 into 2.x

by Justin Litalien -
Number of replies: 9

Hello David (or anyone else), my campus uses the Journal feature in Moodle 1.9 and faculty are generally pleased with it. We are in the early stages of moving folks over to 2.2 and were excited to hear that Journal was kept on as a plugin (Thanks for all your hard work David!).

However, when backing up a M1.9 class and restoring it into M2.2, the Journals are not appearing. I've recently updated both versions on both systems to the latest update and still not getting any luck. Any ideas?

Moodle 1.9 - version 2011013100

Moodle 2.2 - version 2012041900

Thanks!

Justin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Litalien

Re: Journal not being restored from 1.9 into 2.x

by David Monllaó -

Hi Justin,

There was a similar issue (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=198320) and I initially thought that it was a specific site problem.

If it's the same problem and you check the database you would see the journal instances are there, but when you go to the course they are not "visible", I'll try to reproduce the problem in diferent scenarios to find the problem.

Has someone upgraded from 1.9 to 2.x restoring the journal instances without problems? Feedback will be helpful to find the problem, thank you all.

In reply to David Monllaó

by Dan Bramer -

Hey David-

I am working with Justin on this problem, and one of the reasons we started a new post was to differentiate our problem from the one you posted in your response. We are not upgrading Moodle. We have the two instances mentioned above running parallel. What we are trying to do is export the course backup from a course in 1.9 and import that course backup into a clean 2.2 shell.

That said, I have looked and found two tables (mdl_journal and mdl_journal_entries) and neither of them have data in them related to our attempts to import. This probably doesn't matter since we are not actually upgrading, but in case I am missing something, I figured I'd let you know what I have found.

Let us know if you have more questions, and thanks for your time.

In reply to Dan Bramer

by David Monllaó -

Hi Dan,

Yes, I misunderstood it, the restore of 1.9 backups is not yet implemented, I've created an issue (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3656), add you as a watcher if you are interested in the progress, I guess I can work on this during this week.

Thanks for the report.

by David Monllaó -

Hi,

Support for 1.9 course backups added according to http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Backup_1.9_conversion_for_developers#Introduction, now the journal instances are restored. If you found problems please tell me.

Only available for Moodle 2.1 and 2.2, http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=830

by Dan Bramer -

Thanks, David ... looks like our Moodle guy checked and was quite happy!!!

In reply to Dan Bramer

by Justin Litalien -

Yep, I'm a happy camper. Thanks for all your hard work David!

In reply to Justin Litalien

by Kristen Walker -

We are having a similar issue.  I am doing a trial run of upgrading our 1.9 Moodle instance to 2.2 on a development server.  The journal activities are not appearing.  I added the 2.2 version of the journal module, so I can create new journal entries, but don't see any of the ones that were created in the courses that existed in the 1.9 instance.  I do see the mdl_journal    and mdl_journal_entries tables in the database and they contain data.  Anyone know how I might be able to get those journal entries to show up in Moodle 2.2?

Thanks and my apologies if this is not the right place to post about this.

Thanks,

Kristen

In reply to Kristen Walker

by David Monllaó -

Hi Kristen,

Have you experienced the same problem with other 3rd patry modules?

by Kristen Walker -

I will check that out.  We don't use too many third party activity modules.  The only other one that comes to mind is Flashcards.  I will try working with that one today and see what I come up with.

Thanks,

Kristen