Glossary Terms as an Assignment.

Glossary Terms as an Assignment.

David Weeks -
Number of replies: 13

I would like to create an assignment for my students, in which they have to find new words for a given topic and enter them into a course’s glossary. In the past I have just had students add new entries into the glossary, however the grading for this method is very convoluted, has anyone devised a better way to achieve an assignment like this?

Ngā whakawākanga toharite: -
In reply to David Weeks

Re: Glossary Terms as an Assignment.

Itamar Tzadok -

What makes the grading convoluted and how you would prefer it to be? menemene

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

David Weeks -

Currently my method is to have my students enter terms into the primary glossary, I then approve all the entries, and sort the entries by author. I then look for the number of entries each student has put inot the glossary and I look. I would like to be able to do this as an activity, so that the scores are contained in one place and can be transferred much easier.

In reply to David Weeks

Itamar Tzadok -

So the grade would be based on quantity and quality? menemene

David Weeks -

Exactly, in the past I have tried to use the rating system for this, but it was a poor solution at best.

In reply to David Weeks

Itamar Tzadok -

It will be possible with the dataform as soon as I finish the activity grading part. This would allow you to grade by entry or as a whole. menemene

In reply to David Weeks

Paula Clough -

In our 2.1 site, we can chose to rate each entry and chose whether the grade book will  take the average, maximum, minimum, count or sum of ratings. Would that be easier?

Paula Clough rawe kē

In reply to Paula Clough

Itamar Tzadok -

It wouldn't meet the requirement. The point is to assign a grade without having to rate each entry, and even without rating any entry. This is particularly important where the activity grade is not a simple aggregation of the entries' ratings. Consider, for instance, that each entry could be evaluated as Good but the overall would be Excellent, taking into account also number of constributions or some other factor. In such a case you can't get the overall from an aggregation, and rating Excellent a representative entry may give the wrong impression about the actual evaluation of the particular entry. menemene

Ngā whakawākanga toharite: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

Itamar Tzadok -

Just to illustrate how it could look like in the Dataform.

You can enter grade and comments in both the activity and entry levels. Which grade goes to the gradebook is set in the activity settings. menemene

David Weeks -

This is the solutiont that I am looking for both from a function standpoint and a pedagogy standpoint. I want the students not only to be able to complete a terminology type of assignment, but also use that assignment to build a functional glossary  resource and ultimately to take it a step further and have them (the students) peer-review material for quality, for this I will end up using the rating system.

In reply to David Weeks

Itamar Tzadok -

Very good. It should be included in the next release for testing and feedback and by that time (a week or so) there should also be some documentation how to set it up in a view. menemene

Kellye Self -

My school is using 2.2....is this possible in 2.2?