2.2.2+ - quicktime (mov) embed not showing but playing

2.2.2+ - quicktime (mov) embed not showing but playing

by John Reese -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

We have 2.2.2+ May 5, 2012 release and have a strange situation.

I added a quicktime video file and set to have it embed in the page. When we view it, it's blank but I can hear it playing ...

strange ... no download, etc...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Reese

Re: 2.2.2+ - quicktime (mov) embed not showing but playing

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am having a similar issue.  It will flash on screen for a second, play audio for a while and then quit.  Are you on a Mac?  I am finding this problem on a mac with multiple browsers but it plays just fine on a PC.

In reply to John Reese

by Kevin Systorm -
I suggest you to re-encode quicktime (mov) to AVI format which is a streaming video format ... In addition, if you need to compress your DVD's to MOV files, check this tutorial.
In reply to Kevin Systorm

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know about the person that started this but that is not a practical solution for me.  I need these to be in mp4 format - I have bypassed the issue by forcing them to download for now.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Emma,

you can download Miro Video Converter - http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

or FormatFactory - http://www.formatoz.com/

to convert your files from .mov to .mp4

Cheers

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Monica Cain -

I have used Winff to convert anything to mp4 and find it very stable and (of course) free.

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Emma Richardson -

Thanks but my files are actually already in mp4 format but still having the same issue.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Monica Cain -

I am absolutely NOT an expert here but I have successfully added video that seems to run on just about anything.  I only use MP4's to embed and have had no problem since changing to this format.

It seems the most compact and universal format for all systems.

It will also (of course download to iPods, iPhones and iPad)