Respondus IMS QTI 1.1+

Respondus IMS QTI 1.1+

door Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Aantal antwoorden: 14
Hello All-
I am a very new user to Moodle so bear with me.

I exported quiz questions that were created in "Respondus" in this format (IMS QTI XML file) and when I attempt to import the questions and select "IMS QTI" format from the drop down menu I get a message saying Moodle does not yet support this format. Why does it appear on the drop down menu. There are a lot of posts concerning this format. Do I need to install another module? I have thousands of questions in Respondus so this is definitely essential to my SANITY knipoog

Thanks, in advance, for some assistance.
Gemiddelde van de beoordelingen:  -
Als antwoord op Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Respondus IMS QTI 1.1+

door Vu Hung -

What's version of Moodle you are using? You can download the latest version of quiz module, 1.5 dev. If I don't make a mistake, it  supports IMS QTI (I don't know exactly the version of IMS QTI it supports ,1.0 or 1.1).

Good luck!

Als antwoord op Vu Hung

Thanks.  So let me make sure I have this correct.  If we are running version 1.4.4 we can download and use the quiz module 1.5?  Has anyone gotten this to work?
Sure appreciate the input.

door Dawn Wright -
Debra, I could not get the Respondus QTI output to work either on 1.43, so we wrote an ASP script to convert Respondus WebCT 3x-4x text file output to GIFT.  WE have a ton of multiple choice quizzes on eCollege and we just import them into Respondus using the eCollege personality and then change to the WebCT 3x-4x personality so we get the feedback in the text output. I've used it now on about 20 quiz files and have not had any problems. We have not hacked it into our Moodle yet so we run it first and then import the GIFT files into Moodle but I'll send you a copy if you are interested.
Als antwoord op Dawn Wright

door Bob Boufford -

Dawn,

The issue right now is not Respondus which fully supports IMS QTI 1.1+ import and export, but the lack of IMS QTI 1.1+ import/export in Moodle 1.4.x.

Cheers,

Bob

Als antwoord op Bob Boufford

door Dawn Wright -

Bob

I understand that Respondus fully supports IMS QTI 1.1+ export but that still leaves no efficient way to get Respondus output files into Moodle 1.4.3. The script we developed converts the Respondus output files in WebCT format because that format I felt comfortable working with. eCollege does not have a built-in way to export quiz files, so we use Respondus to extract them from eCollege and then use the script to convert them to a format Moodle can import.   If Moodle 1.5 has IMS QTI import capabilities, we'll likely switch to that method when we upgrade. But in the meantime in 1.4.3, we need a way to quickly convert Respondus output files, hence I thought others might also need an interim method to getting Respondus output files into Moodle.

dawn

Thanks Dawn.  That sounds very workable.  Can we get access to taht ASP script?

door Dawn Wright -

Debra, Yes. Its fairly simple to use but I'm putting a ReadMe file to go with it and will post them both tomorrow at the latest.

dawn

Importing Questions with Images into Moodle

Hello Dawn-
Just following up. Can I get the script you described in this previous posting:
Debra, I could not get the Respondus QTI output to work either on 1.43, so we wrote an ASP script to convert Respondus WebCT 3x-4x text file output to GIFT.  WE have a ton of multiple choice quizzes on eCollege and we just import them into Respondus using the eCollege personality and then change to the WebCT 3x-4x personality so we get the feedback in the text output. I've used it now on about 20 quiz files and have not had any problems. We have not hacked it into our Moodle yet so we run it first and then import the GIFT files into Moodle but I'll send you a copy if you are interested.

Another challenge I am having is importing questions from Respondus or WebCT with the images embedded.  I just imported a WebCT Math quiz from WebCT into Moodle and all the text was in tact but none of the images I created with an Equation editor.  I also have this entire test in Respondus as well.

HELP....need to have test ready by tomorrow!

Re: Importing Questions with Images into Moodle

door Michael Penney -
Hi Debra, does repondus work with Blackboard format? We're finishing up an update to the BB quiz importer, which will work with images and (hopefully) equations (we have to convert from BB's mathMl to tex) when we're done.
Als antwoord op Michael Penney

Yes it does work with the Blackboard format!  I do not have Blackboard but will this help?  It is going to be a late night of Moodling tonight!

door Michael Penney -
Hi Debra, the current BB import (in quiz) is for BB 5.5 but we are updating to 6.1, should have a new import format (BB 6.x) for testing  this week or next.

So if you can export in BB 5.5 format, it may work now, if not, our new importer might help.

We'll post here when it is ready for testing.
Als antwoord op Michael Penney

door Howard Miller -
Foto van Core developers Foto van Documentation writers Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Peer reviewers Foto van Plugin developers
Hi Michael,

Note if you are updating in CVS, the format of the import/export class has changed very slightly! The name now reflects the format and there are two new methods - provide_import and provide_export which must return true if the class has that functionality if you see what I mean glimlach

door Mike Reilly -

Hi Dawn -

Hello from the neighboring state of Georgia.  I am a recent transplant to Georgia, and a geek pursuing Moodle nirvana for the high school where I work (northgwinnett.com).

I was wondering if I could borrow your ASP script for the QTI export conversion?  A teacher of ours uses Respondus extensively, and we need to get his quizzes into Moodle.

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Mike Reilly

door Howard Miller -
Foto van Core developers Foto van Documentation writers Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Peer reviewers Foto van Plugin developers
Just to be clear, we only have QTI *export* at the moment. The unhelpful/incorrect list of import/export formats is sorted in 1.5dev and will only show those that are really available. To make matters worse the export format is QTI 2.0 AFAIK.