Deploying Courses Best Practices

Deploying Courses Best Practices

by Graham Fox -
Number of replies: 1

Hi All,

I'm interested in how the administrators out there who have to deploy lots of different courses organize and work with Moodle.

For example, I have 20 different courses that I may deploy in different combinations for different user groups. Each time a new group comes together to take a class, would you recommend I backup and restore a new instance of the required course(s), name it something, unique and then make that their specific course? Or just assign the users to the specific courses they are required to take?

Typing that out, it seems obvious that ovetime if I just assign people to the base classes it will be hard to track people, but I'm still interested in how other admins deploy and combine courses. Does anyone else have a base group of courses they repeatedly deploy when a new class starts?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Fox

Re: Deploying Courses Best Practices

by Derek Chirnside -

This may be the wrong audience/wrong forum for this question.

Personally I do both, but mainly clone.  I'm now having a new instance of the same course come along each 5-6 weeks, with one page being different.  (The location details of the weekend workshop)  I'm finding it quicker to cline the course.

In some courses, I have a section for "forums".  I add a forum for each group, totally hidden from each other.  I put ALL the unique material in the description for this forum.  Simple, clean.  I then use this forum for all the unique communication for this group.  The rest of the course is totally stock standard and the same.  I make posts like "Course details", etc. 

-Derek