Youtube links not converting to embedded video

Youtube links not converting to embedded video

by Sam McNeill -
Number of replies: 13

Hi All,

I've searched around but can't find any solutions at this point so asking on here in hope of an 'easy fix'.

I've got a pretty standard 2.1.2 install and it's working well ... apart from the embedding of links.

It seems they show up as plain text unless highlighted and actively linked to.

I realize there is a filter that will convert plain text into a link but if I do this, then youtube clips don't embed.

So my settings:

and

Yet, when I paste a link into a page it shows up as plain text - not embedded, and not linked to:

If you edit the page there is no link:

But if I highlight the link, and then choose to link it to 'itself' like this:

then the movie shows up as an embedded clip:

I'm at a loss what to do! I've tried this with Chrome and FF and Safari (not IE so far) and it's no joy.

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam McNeill

Re: Youtube links not converting to embedded video

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi Sam

I could not be able to understand what you exactly want to do. Please elaborate

In reply to S. kavita

by Sam McNeill -

Hi,

What I want is that when I copy/paste a URL into Moodle then that is all I need to do for the video to embed.

I've used some moodle installations where this was the case - that I didn't need to then select the URL, click the link button, and then save.

I was under the impression that Moodle was capable of interpreting a pasted URL to youtube, and know that it was to automatically embed the clip into the page.

In reply to Sam McNeill

by Ray Lawrence -

AFAIK it won't convert the text to a link and then apply the filter. It needs to be a link first.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Sam McNeill -

OK - but if I turn the filter on to convert URL into links, then it only ever remains a link.

I'm convinced that in the past I've been able to simply paste a URL into Moodle, it recognizes it as a link, and then the youtube plugin embeds it automatically....

help!

In reply to Sam McNeill

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Sam

You should turn on the 'Convert URLs into links and images' filter as well to get the auto linking - then the player will show as you want

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Ray Lawrence -

I have thme both on, not working for me. 2.2.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I tried on demo Moodle and it worked (as on my own Moodle 2) I don't have any answers but I seem to recall an issue where something wasn't displaying - might have been related to the multimedia filter - and the soluton was in the order of appearance of the filters in Site admin. You wouldn't break anything by rearranging the order of the multimedia and URL to images filter (and indeed any othersbig grin) just to see if it makes a difference.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Sam McNeill -

Thanks for you reply.

It's not working still! How infuriating. Some screenshots showing my config:

But no joy - still shows up as a basic URL

In reply to Sam McNeill

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Sam,

Yes, you can do what you want. Once you checked that:

Multimedia plugins = on, in Administration > Plugins > Filters > Manage filters

You should also check that:

Multimedia plugins = On --or Default (On)--, in Courses > your_course > Filters

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Monica Bokos -

where is that second one?  On which version? Just curious and can't find it.

In reply to Monica Bokos

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

in Moodle 2.0 and later, in your course in Settings>Course administration>filters

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Monica Bokos -

thanks, testing several sites and there was one where I didn't have the global filters activated, pff

In reply to Sam McNeill

by Richard Clay -

I recently came across a similar problem when pasting YouTube links via Google Chrome. Behavior seemed to be not as normal and I am wondering if it is something to do with the latest version of Chrome? Pasting links via IE still worked fine.

If anyone else encounters a problem with the YouTube filter and Chrome my solution is as below:

• 1. Moodle filter “Convert URLs into links and images” must be switched on”
  • 2. The URL filter must be above “multimedia plugins” in the filter list (as shown below)

• 3.In the "Convert URLs into links and images" settings page the HTML format checkbox must be ticked (as below). I also checked the plain text format box but this didn't seem to be necessary

Hope this helps.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (3)