HTML editor appears after a delay

HTML editor appears after a delay

oleh Przemyslaw Stencel -
Jumlah balasan: 7

I've noticed that the html editor appears with a noticeable delay (after the whole page has loaded), sometimes even longer than 10 seconds. The delay is different on different moodle sites, but even on the same site the length of the delay may vary considerably. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is it a server performance issue? If so, which of the server parameters influences this?

This did not happen in Moodle 1.9, but is quite common on quite a few Moodle 2.x. site that I have access to.

Rata-rata penilaian: -
Sebagai balasan Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: HTML editor appears after a delay

oleh Mary Cooch -
Gambar dari Documentation writers Gambar dari Moodle HQ Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Testers Gambar dari Translators

I don't know the answer but I have this experience all the time.

Sebagai balasan Mary Cooch

oleh Tarmo Sildeberg -

Hello,

I have a same problem but no glue how to fix. I have noticed that there is no problem of editor appearing if the course is using english language. As soon as I change the language to be something else (german, russian, etc) I will get the editor's loading time to be about 14 sec.

With english language the editor loads just fine about a sec or so.

I know the reason, maybe someone knows the fix.

regards,

Tarmo

Sebagai balasan Tarmo Sildeberg

Re: HTML editor appears after a delay - (dirty) FIX

Hi,

You're right about the language - that's why people using Moodle in English could not replicate the problem! senyum

I don't know how to fix this properly, but my admin added the following line to .htaccess and it worked. The editor appears instantly even when using Moodle in other languages than English! Victory at last! 

php_value zlib.output_compression Off

Re: HTML editor appears after a delay - not at all dirty fix

oleh Mauno Korpelainen -

It's a perfectly good fix, most sites have zlib.output_compression Off by default in php.ini

Most likely you have seen some sort of "double compression time out". Some files (settings) of moodle can use for example gzencode() (lib\minify\lib\Minify.php) and for example TinyMCE's compressor using gzencode() had issues with zlib.output_compression already years ago because it was (and probably still is) incompatible with zlib.output_compression.

Some issues are reported to tracker too, for example

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35640

In php.ini you can set it by

zlib.output_compression = Off

oleh Itamar Tzadok -

I think it has more to do with the particular page than with server performance. Some pages in moodle load more than others even with the extensive caching. So it may take the browser some time to process everything.

I too consider that an issue. Not everyone agrees though.

Usability-wise I think that editors display mode should be made more flexible. Many cases of text input do not require the full blown editor. I would prefer to be able to set the default to open a textarea and where needed click to open an editor for the textarea I'm currently on (the format value which accompanies every editor may be used to make the preference sticky). senyum

Sebagai balasan Itamar Tzadok

I too consider that an issue. Not everyone agrees though.

For me, personally, it is a bit annoying, but I could live with it senyum

However, I get quite a lot of complaints from my users, so as an admin I do consider it an issue.

Sorry to hear it's not a server thing. I was kind of hoping adding some RAM would be enough to make it go away... senyum