1.9 Course Files Backup Issue

1.9 Course Files Backup Issue

by Geoffrey Brewster -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

We are running 1.9.16 at the moment. Because our site is pretty large, we are running out of disk space to store backups. So, we decided not to include course files in the backups so I turned that setting off yesterday in the automated backups. However, the biggest backup file we had (about 4gigs) still contained al the course files this morning.

Is there something else I have to do to keep the automatied backups from copying the course files.

Thanks,

Geoff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoffrey Brewster

Re: 1.9 Course Files Backup Issue

by Jennie Lillis -

I'm afraid this is not a response as much as an addition.  We're facing exactly the same dilemma, but with version 2.0.3.  Rather than turning off the automated course backup entirely, we plan to reduce the number of backups kept from 50 to 30.  However, my question is: once I've reduced the number, will the 20 unwanted oldest backups be deleted, or will they remain in place until actively deleted?  Sounds like the answer is 'no' from your post, Geoff.

If it helps, we're also looking into switching the backup path so that the course backups are stored on an external disk, thereby reducing any impact on performance of large backup files.

I'll watch this post for responses with interest!

Jennie

In reply to Jennie Lillis

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

First things first, the unwanted courses should be backed up, placed on disk, put into safe, secure storage and then deleted from the Moodle. ALL unwanted or retired courses - as soon as they become unwanted. (Of course, there is an alternative, develop a separate Moodle to store unwanted courses and it is only used when someone wants something from it.) The tidiest way is to delete the unwanted courses, that makes your production site manageable. Courses can only be deleted when someone, with the neccessary permissions to delete courses, hits the delete button. Moodle cannot and does not make that sort of decision for any reason.  

In reply to Geoffrey Brewster

by Susana L. -

We are running 1.9.13 and I'm trying to mannually backup a 2.6GB course to import to moodle 2.x. Because it is an XL sized course I thought it would be easier to backup the course without the course files... and choose only some of its resources. This seems to be impossible. Even if I choose only 4 or 5 resources, all the course files get in the backup.... and I get a 2.6GB backup file...

susana

In reply to Susana L.

by Susana L. -

This is due to a broken file. If I do not include that file, the backup will include only the chosen files instead of the whole course files... 

susana

In reply to Susana L.

by Mark Jones -

if you get the backup file correctly send it to http://courseconverter.moodleinschools.org.nz/ to convert it to a 2.2 .mbz file and you can then import. it should work no matter the size.

In reply to Mark Jones

by Susana L. -

Hi,

Thank you for the information. May I know a little bit more about this tool? Who is supporting it?

Thank you,
susana