What are the pros and cons of using questions in the lesson module vs using the quiz module?

What are the pros and cons of using questions in the lesson module vs using the quiz module?

Mike Hall -
Erantzun kopurua: 9

Hi All,

I'm designing a course from scratch and would be interested in your thoughts on what influences the decision to use the quiz module versus using the question capability in the lesson module.

Many thanks

Mike

Puntuazioen batez bestekoa: -
Mike Hall(e)ri erantzunda

Re: What are the pros and cons of using questions in the lesson module vs using the quiz module?

Tim Hunt -
Core developers-ren irudia Documentation writers-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Peer reviewers-ren irudia Plugin developers-ren irudia

The fundamental difference between lesson and quiz is in the type of activity the provide using questions, not in the questions themselves.

In an ideal world, the lesson would use questions from the question bank just like this quiz does. However, people have been saying that since around the time of Moodle 1.6 in 2006, and it keeps not happening.

Re: What are the pros and cons of using questions in the lesson module vs using the quiz module?

ben reynolds -

We started out using questions in Lesson (in Moodle 1.8+), but the recordkeeping is way insubstantial compared to Quiz. So, after a term or two, we moved our questions to Quiz. We link out of Lesson to the particular Quiz.

Unfortunately, there's no neat way to link back to a particular page in Lesson. (You could vote for http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16973 to get that fixed.) But, if you enable the left menu, then users can click in there to get back to where they left.

ben reynolds(e)ri erantzunda

Mike Hall -

thanks Ben,

I've voted but I see there are only five votes so I suspect it will be a while yet!

Do you use a hyperlink from Lesson to Quiz, or is there another way?

I tried using the button on a content page, but all the links there are to the same lesson.

So then I created a hyperlink, but there is still a button on the content page, becuase it is a required field, and that can let the learner stay in the lesson.

Mike

ben reynolds -

Hi Mike,

Yes, we use a hyperlink. Basically, you go to the course's main page, copy the quiz's hyperlink and stick it in the appropriate Lesson page.

For the continue button, you can change the button's wording by editing the Lesson page. Description 1 is where you can say something like "I completed the Quiz, and I'm ready to go to the next page." Or something more succinct.

Melanie Scott -
Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia

For me, the decision rests on what I want to do with the activity.  Is it a test or a learning tool?  I use both.  The lesson I use for scenario based choose-your-path type activities where each answer takes you to a different place.  Correct answers are reinforced, less correct answers are given extra (remedial) information and explanation.  You can have entire paths of additional information with lesson that you cannot with quiz.  You can allow participants to choose what order they view information and it's interactive. 

Quiz is a quiz.  A test.  Answer these questions.  Submit.  You can add videos or documentation, but at the base, it doesn't have the interactivity that lesson does.  Both previous posts mentioned the fact that the two modules don't share questions and that lessons don't have robust reporting.  This is true.

If you want robust reporting and don't need interactive learning--just a test, quiz is great.  If you are less concerned about the reporting because you want a learning activity, lesson is great.  They're hard to compare because they are so different.  I frequently have both in courses.  One for learning/exploring content and the other for testing understanding.

If you use the games plug-in, you do have some other options for using the quiz questions (and glossary or book information, if you use them) in an interactive, fun way, as well, though to let learners try out their knowledge before the test...

Melanie Scott(e)ri erantzunda

Tim Hunt -
Core developers-ren irudia Documentation writers-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Peer reviewers-ren irudia Plugin developers-ren irudia

I disagree that a quiz can only be a test. With good feedback built into the questions, and using Interactive with multiple tries or Adaptive behaviour, a quiz can definitely be for learning.

Tim Hunt(e)ri erantzunda

Itamar Tzadok -

It's ok to let the quiz be only a test. It's wrong to think that a test does not involve learning. Every choice we make in life is a test of a possible route. How else do we learn?

Indeed the number of tries and extent of variation affects the effectiveness of learning by quizzes or any other component for that matter. Instructors who cannot or are not willing to make the necessary effort required for variation, feedback etc. should not blame the quiz. The often taken route of open ended (aka vague) assignments (essays in particular, shorter or longer) is much easier but rarely a mark of effective teaching and learning. irribarrea

Tim Hunt(e)ri erantzunda

ben reynolds -

Well, I logged into using moodle (three extra clicks!) because I was certain I would have to disagree with Melanie, Tim, or Itamar (though I didn't know which). And I'm so wrong.

The only thing I can add is that Lesson's inability to do clear item analysis is what led us away from its questions. If you're building an expert-based Lesson (where the expert knows all the pratfalls and typical errors already), Lesson is a great thing, for all the reasons Melanie states.

I've done that in composition (not in Moodle, though). But we did not feel at all expert in the Moodle courses we were building, never having taught them before. Lesson's questions didn't allow us to learn from user errors.

Melanie Scott(e)ri erantzunda

Mike Hall -

Thanks Melanie.

Please explain how you move between lesson and quiz in a course, or do you complete the whole lesson, and then do the quiz?