Manual Grades Disappear after Updating

Manual Grades Disappear after Updating

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 15

Greetings - we are in Moodle 1.9.17 and have been institutionalizing the gradebook for all of our courses.  A faculty member came to me today and reported that in adding grades manually to a Homework assignment - there are now a group of students at the end of the gradebook that when a grade is entered - update is clicked - the entered grade disappears.  If the grade is entered and "enter" is hit on the keyboard - the number is not entered.  I have attached a screenshot of the Set up for the Category with graded items.  One graded item is locked and the other are unlocked. The gradebook is set to Weighted Mean of grades with Categories and Graded Items.  The Graded Items are graded Manually. In other courses the gradebook appears to be working fine.  Please HELP!  As always your knowledge and expertise is appreciated. 

Thank you - Nancy K.

Attachment Gradebook Issue Settings.jpg
In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Manual Grades Disappear after Updating

by Marty Soupcoff -

From your image I can't even tell which item is locked (maybe my eyes are already going bad at 24 years old wink). Also you didn't indicate which assignment was having the issues.

I'll take a wild guess at the issue though even without the above mentioned info. This could be an instance of browser cache affecting instructor's view. Have they tried clearing their cache and the grades still aren't there?

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Jon Fila -

How many students are in the course? It could be an issue with the database. If there are more than 10 try going to MyPreferences--> Grader Report. Where it says students per page you should select 10. Then go back to enter some grades and see if they save.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Jared Chapman -

I am having the same problem. Using 2.2.2+

The first 6 in a column save fine, after that, nothing I can do keeps the scores in there.

I try both "Enter" and "Update"

I have the same problem on both existing quizzes and added grade columns.

Please help!

In reply to Jared Chapman

by Toni Roberts -

Hello Everyone,

I'm having the same problem with 2.2.3. We have increased the number of post max to 8500 but still having a problem. The class is large with about 212 students and, if you can believe it, 41 grading items.

Any ideas or is it still the post max? If we try to go any higher, the grades tool doesn't seem to work at all (we get blank screens in the grades area).

Thanks!

Toni

In reply to Toni Roberts

by Toni Roberts -

I should mention I have limited the number of students to 100 per page and all items are manual grade items.

Thanks!

Toni

In reply to Toni Roberts

by Bob Puffer -

The calculation is 4 times the number of students times the number of grades -- that's about 35k.  Cut the number of students per page in half you can halve the calc but you're still not there.  NOTE TO ALL:  MAKE THIS NUMBER LARGE, 20,000 OR GREATER

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Nancy K Hoke -

Well this does not make much sense to me - but here is what we did and it solved the problem.  We opened the graded item - the boxes for Open and Close dates were checked for Disabled.  We unchecked the boxes.  Saved the item - went back and checked it again - and we could enter the grades.  It has now happed to more than one faculty member - and this action worked.  Very Strange.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Glenn Jones -

After fighting this issue all summer, I tried the above, but it did not work for me.  What did work, was resorting the gradebook by last name in descending order so the student was listed third from the top.  I was able to enter his final exam grade, and it updated fine.  Very strange, indeed.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Don Hazelwood -

Has there been a tracker issue created for this yet?

I am presently seeing this on a 2.2.3 site and have seen it on other client's sites recently.

In reply to Don Hazelwood

by Elena Ivanova -

I have found this discussion and this ticket MDL-24940 (with a quick solution to increase php limit ).

Main ticket, resolved an closed by Andrew with a fix for 2.3: MDL-26275

It does not look like this code is applied to the 2.3 distribution though  - see release notes. (I can be wrong here smile)

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Mike Thacker -

I'm having this issue on 1.9. Whats especially odd is that there hasnt been a change in the code since last school year, no suprise there since I'm still running 1.9. 

Anyways, we can submit 4 student grade manually but 5-n wil not post.

In reply to Mike Thacker

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Mike,

I got bit by this just yesterday.  Seems a patch to php included a backport which added the requirement of the following line in the php.ini file:

max_input_vars = <some number that is 4 times the max columns times rows of your largest gradebook -- I used 20000>

We'er not even running a version of php in which this is supposed to happen but it did and the line above fixed it.

In reply to Mike Thacker

by Susan Fleming -

I have a similar problem on 2.2.3 with an instructor reporting any grades entered after the fourth student disappearing - he has not been able to work around this by using the edit function for each student.

I have a few other instructors who have been able to enter manual grades for up to 10 students before the system stops recognizing them - these instructors have said they were able to enter manual grades for the remaining students by editing each student's mark for each assignment rather than just plunking numbers in.

I understand that increasing the php may resolve our problem and we are going to try that but I also understand that this issue has been resolved in 2.3.  Can anyone currently on 2.3 confirm that this is no longer an issue?

Thank you

In reply to Susan Fleming

by Bunny Clemes -

I found the fix!

Go to Gradebook--My Preferences--and check YES to enable Ajax.

Bunny Paine-Clemes

Atlantic University