Enrolment

Picture of David Groveham
Auto Enrol All Users

Hello, I am fairly new to managing a Moodle site but our old Moodle 1.9 site has the ability to enrol all users in all courses. I've been doing lots of research on the internet to try and find a way how I can set it so that all users (who log in using a LDAP server) are automatically enrolled in all courses. I've tried going down the route of enabling the guest access but this caused problems as anyone can access the VLE and can bypass logging in altogether. Does anyone know a way/plug-in of enrolling all users into the courses or turning enrolment off, but still requiring authentication (e.g. via a login)??? I hope someone has the answer as this is just one problem I cannot find a solution to. Kind regards, Dave

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Auto Enrol All Users
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hello David - St Helen's eh? I am in Preston - small worldsmile I imagine that in 1.9 you either had your students enrolled site wide via site admin>users>permissions>assign system roles or that your defaut role for all users in site admin>users>permissions>user policies was set to "student" Both those will result in students being enrolled in all courses in 1.9 (Sorry if the paths aren't quite right - I am doing it off the top of my head)

But in Moodle 2 it's not the same as it wasn't felt most institutions would WANT all students everywhere so it is harder to achieve. Here is some documentation on how to assign students sitewide - take a look at question 21 here in the FAQ http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Roles_FAQ You would have to edit your normal student role to assign them sitewide and then add all students to that area. OR...(and I haven't tried this myself) assign the student role sitewide and then go to site admin>users>permissions>user policies and choose "student" as the default role for the site - that might have the effect of allowing them into all courses, though I haven't checked. But I am not too familiar with LDAP so I don't know if there is a way via LDAP to have them enrolled globally and automatically.

Oh and -as an afterthought - are you SURE you want to do this?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of David Groveham

Hi Mary Yes you right with how we did it in 1.9! I see what you mean in 2.0, but is there way you can give any more detail for the second method? I have followed the steps above but when changing the default role, there is only 'Authenticated User (user)' in the drop down box. Is there something I'm doing wrong or have to change before hand? I really appreciated everything you are doing for me and helping me. Kind regards Dave

Picture of tim st.clair

i'm also looking for this functionality. In the faq it mentions: "It is unusual for a student to be studying every single course on your Moodle and unusual for a teacher to be teaching every single course". In my particular scenario this is the exact requirement. If a new courses is added, students are automatically enrolled in it. If a new student joins, they are enrolled automatically to encompass all courses. I'm a little unsure of how to go about it. Again, Moodle FAQ notes "Alternatively, you could create a new role based on the teacher or student and assign this in the System context. Then assign individuals to that role."; I want the assignment to be automatic. The FAQ fails to mention how to perform said operations.

Picture of S. kavita

Hello All,

I suggest you all to use Cohort functionality in Moodle 2.x

Cohort can be created site -wide as well as category - wise. 

When Cohort is created site - wide then it can be used in any course available on site. Whereas when Cohort is created category - wise then it can be used only in courses which are available in that category.

Cohort helps to enroll a bulk of user in one go.

Now in Moodle 2.2 we can also upload users in a cohort through .csv

We have to only prepare the excelsheet with the following parameters :-

username,password,firstname,lastname,email, cohort1
where cohort1 is cohort ID.
You can read more about it from here:-
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Cohorts

After that download and install Auto Enroll Cohort plugin.

Autoenrol cohort plugin is a system-wise cohort in which new users are automatically enrol into cohort.

If this cohort is added in any course, then new user will automatically enrol into that course with the help of this cohort.

I hope this will help you.

You will find this plug-in on moodle.org>downloads>modules and plugins.

Picture of tim st.clair

This sounds fine as long as you know your list of users ahead of time. In a uni/school situation where a semester starts you generally have you user list sorted. In a CPD/RTO/corporate learning environment people come to the courses when they need to and you don't know ahead of time your user list. E.g someone new joins the company and is assigned a position; that position has induction and other requisite training requirements and they hit the moodle site to do them. Single Sign On of some description handles making them a moodle user and - course/should - enrol them into every available current course for their position. Assigning users to a cohort seems fine, but does that automatically enrol them to a course - the docs page was pretty vague on that; your reply did mention it but I couldn't see documented evidence of how to set it up. Autoenrol Cohort appears to be pretty much the same as Group Magic plugin ( http://code.google.com/p/group-magic/ ) - except at the "higher" level (system instead of course specific). I'm left a little unsure of how to handle situations where a course is cross-position (e.g. a fire safety course) - that is, everyone regardless of position needs to do this course, but only people in the Admin position need to do the Financial Responsibility Induction course. Cohorts appear to be the answer, but as mentioned the documentation is a little underwhelming.