Read the rest of this topic - Settings?

Read the rest of this topic - Settings?

by Peter DeBruyn -
Number of replies: 5

Are there settings for the "Read the rest of this topic" feature.  When guests come to my site they see the Full topic post in Site News / When a user is logged in they see partial topics with a link for reading the rest.  How do I set it so that guest see shortened topics as well.

Using Moodle 2.0.8

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter DeBruyn

Re: Read the rest of this topic - Settings?

by Amanda Ng -

I have the exact same problem.
I want guests to be able to view topics individually in order to create a list of links to topics at the top of the page, for easier navigation.I don't see why they can't when logged in users can..

Are there any fixes?

In reply to Amanda Ng

by Mei Ling -

Any solution for this? I'm facing the same problem.

Thanks

In reply to Peter DeBruyn

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Go to Admin Block

- Site Settings - Plug Ins - Activity Module - Forum

There is a setting called "Short Post" and "Long Post"

Adjust your Long Post to about "1200" -- this prevents the "show more" text for when you're logged in.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Tom Coffey -

John, this solution definitely gets rid of the 'show more' text but I think the issue is that guests cannot see the rest of the posts in a particular thread beyond the first one - this is a problem I have been trying to fix the last few weeks as well. An example might be the easiest way to explain:

With a guest log-in the default landing page when you click on the single activity forum is this page: http://bostnet.org/slc/course/view.php?id=2

For the first post "Activity modification for tiered learning" you can see my initial post but not any of the replies, unless you click the "Read the rest of this topic". For the second topic listed, "Success Stories" there is no way to see replies since the post is not long enough to trigger the "Read the rest of this topic" link. I cannot find a setting (site, plugin, user rights) that fixes this; the most promising solution seemed to be to create roles but I couldn't make that work (https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Forum_poster_role).

Ideally I'd like the landing page to have the layout in this view (which solves the problem): http://bostnet.org/slc/mod/forum/view.php?id=1

IMO, this is a better layout in general for my site even though you do not see the short description, so if there was a way to set this as the default I would be very happy.

In reply to Tom Coffey

by Tom Coffey -

I found a solution to my question in case anyone runs across the same issue.

Changing the setting is course admin > course format from 'social format' to single activity - forum gets the view I was looking for. Given the much better UX on actually using the forum this is much preferable. Unless someone can tell me what the benefit is of the social format or how to get the desired layout.