Themes

Picture of Lisa Johnson-Bowers
Changing the Course Title Banner to a Header image

Hello -  I would like to add an image header to the top of my pages. I would like the haeder to be in place of the Course Name that is across the top.  I have used the "additional html" feature and I get the image banner above the Course Title.  Is there a simple way to replace the Course Title with an image logo?

Also, when I used the "additional html" feature, my image logo banner did not appear until after I had logged into moodle.  Can I make this feature visible even to the viewer who is not logged in?

Thanks in advance for you time.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Changing the Course Title Banner to a Header image
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Can you tell us what theme you are using Lisa - some themes allow you to do this from their settings page, while others may need some css/code changed or added

Richard

Picture of Brian Goulter

Hi Richard. I came looking at this post with a similar question. If you assume that it is not a settings change in the current theme then it needs to be changed in css or in code. Do you know where in the code needs to be changed? 

When a new theme is being created we look at things done in other themes and wonder how we can incorporate these in our theme? Going to another theme wont always be a possible solution

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

What exactly are you wanting to do?  This post is a year old and with no feedback from the original poster makes it more difficult to find a solution.

If you can tell us the name of the theme, and what you want to do we should be able to help you.

If it is just a general question, based on an observation, then you may be better reading through the list of tutorials listed at the top of this forum page.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=46

Cheers

Mary

Yes I do know where it needs to be changed, thank you for asking Brian smile

But if you mean can I tell you? Then we need to know what theme you are using as it may be different in different themes.

While changing to an alternative theme may not be practical, looking at them to find out how to change code usually is and is how I (and probably most other people on here) started learning. That and now the great tutorials written by people like Mary to help along with the support in these forums. But as Mary points out, in this particular thread, with no response from the OP it is difficult to move the query forward without more information.

Richard

Picture of Brian Goulter

Hi Richard
Does the smile mean that the first sentence is not sarcastic? Its so hard to tell with written posts.

I find answers that say "well, it depends..." unhelpful.  What would be helpful? How about ...
----
a) If you are using "theme xyx", then go to

Settings/Site Administration/Appearance/Themes/xyz
and change the following  (etc)

b) If the theme you are using does not have this option, then you will need to change the following files:   (and list the files that need to be changed). The code you will need to include is (and list the code). There is an example of how this is done in theme abc.
----
I will revisit the tutorials, and spend more time disecting the themes.

Thank you for your help smile

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Dear Brian,

I find it disheartening to read comments, from people ready to start criticising others, for something, which, in this case, was more or less a closed topic. 

After reading your comment, and subsequent criticism of Richard, I have a good mind to delete this whole discussion thread.

If you want to offer your own solution, then fine, offer it. If you want help with a theme, then start a new discussion by all means. But please do not be tempted to pull up an old discussion just to comment about the way someone answers a query.

Thank you.

Mary

No the smile means it was intended to be funny and light hearted and to keep the tone of the answer light.

but to take your point further the reason for extra information being needed is that your suggestion of 'if you are using theme xyz do this is not practical because of the sheer number of themes both in and out of core - there are 40+ in the addons directory alone, more in core and add in themes created by NSL or other bespoke themes, then there is the version of moodle and the theme being used which would impact ont he response, so that it is not even possible to say in some cases, in this theme do this, in this theme do that  -  when a simple request for more information from the OP - if responded to - can sort the issue with specific instructions very easily. At least we know from the 'additional HTML' reference that its not Moodle1.9!

To take your point to the extreme - how would you expect a forum to respond to the query ' my computer doesn't work, please help' - on your logic the forum should then bend over backwards to list an entire troubleshooting manual that goes all the way from 'is it plugged in' to xyz component is malfunctioning causing such and such effect. and is unlikely to be of any use to the original poster!!!

Perhaps the theme forum header should refer to a link Joseph posted in a recent thread in another forum about how to ask smart questions on forums

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 

I am aware that as people who respond to these questions it is essential for us to try to understand where the request is coming from - but it is also essential for those asking the requests to understand where the help is coming from.

This is a community site made up of people who volunteer their experience, learning and support - it is not a paid support help-desk - and my experience is that if you ask the right questions you will get a far higher level of response than you could ever hope to from a paid helpdesk!!! However, if you want to throw criticism around then there are several options - find the help yourself, offer it to others and become part of the solution and take the opportunity to do it your way, or post what you like but dont expect a prompt reply!

Now, as I originally stated, both to the OP and to you previously, if you have a question about a specific issue that you want help with then please ask and give us sufficient details to be able to help you with, other wise the reponse is likely to be something along the lines of RTFM or in this case RTFTutorials posted at the top of the forum as suggested in the linked document - although we tend to be much more polite and helpful about the suggestion on here! smile - no sarcasm and no offence over the language intended, trying to keep the subject matter light!!!

Richard

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Brian Goulter

Hi Richard
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, the forums are better than what you get from a paid help desk. And, yes I do appreciate that this is volunteer work.  So, sorry if I did the foot in mouth thing. (ie you have my sincere apologies).

I do think the suggestion I offered is valid. It is reasonable to suggest that "If the theme you are using has this facility, then you will find the place to alter the settings here...    And if it doesnt, here is a theme that does...  Look at the code used to set this up here..."

(and since I can see that Mary is reading this too, I have no objection to the discussion being wiped - clean slate kind of thing...  Thanks)

Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

The guys are right Brian. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.  There are 47 themes in the plugins alone.  Your request and your definition on helpful is jut not possible.  Like calculus.  How do I do integration? Answer: depends on the problem.

Random thoughts:

1. You can spend a lot of time sorting themes (like the guys who spend more time worying about their wordpress themes than their blog posts).  It's not a job for amateurs.
  2. If you want someting really nice, go with Decaf https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_decaf.  Mainly (only?) becayse of the Awesome bar menu.  Barrow pushng over.
  3. Or phone me up and we can meet at McDonalds or Lumes (on Fitzgerald) for a burger and a coffee.

Mary, I suggest wait a couple of days and delete this thread.  smile  Even thought Richards comments are nice.

-Derek

It's only an avatar...

Umph! You never invite me out for coffee! LOL

Picture of Brian Goulter

Burger and coffee sounds good. I will ring next week. I will look at decaf (not with the burger though). 

Brian