Strange problem - date is always displayed in English

Strange problem - date is always displayed in English

by Georgi Yadkov -
Number of replies: 6

MOODLE version: Moodle 2.2.2 (Build: 20120312)

I have installed Bulgarian language pack from the site preferences. When I switch to it everything seems OK except that all the dates (forum, assignments, etc) are in English. Everything else is translated. When I installed Russian or German it is the same - all the strings are translated except the date which is displayed in English.

I turned on language debugging. I find the corresponding date string in moodledata/lang/bg/langconfig.php and added additional characters to test weather the file is used or not. After refreshing the page the characters were visible but the date was still in English.

Any ideas how can I solve this problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Georgi Yadkov

Re: Strange problem - date is always displayed in English

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Georgi,

Hopefully 'Why are month names not being displayed in the correct language?' in Calendar FAQ can help solve your problem.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Georgi Yadkov -

Thanks Helen, everything is OK.

I would like to propose improvements in default Bulgarian language pack for the date and time format. Some of the strings must be edited in order to match the official.

Where and to whom should I address my proposition?

In reply to Georgi Yadkov

by Angelin Lalev -

The problem with the names and the dates is related to the fact that moodle pulls them from the operating system. It will disappear if You change locale of the whole system to bg_BG.

The language pack is usually edited via AMOS (See lang.moodle.org). If Your propositions are reasonable, I'd be very glad to merge them in the official translations.

I am one of the two translation coordinators for Bulgarian language. You can reach me directly at lalev@uni-svishtov.bg (Angelin Lalev).

Wellcome aboard!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Angelin Lalev

by Georgi Yadkov -

Thanks. I've installed the bg_BG locale on the server and now everything is OK.

I'll e-mail you my propositions.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Luís Rocha Graça -

Hi there Helen,

I have also the same problem as Georgi, but still didn't figure out how to solve it. I have Moodle set to Portuguese, and tried to change the locale string in the langconfig.php on moodle>lang>eng folder to the portuguese package pt_PT.UTF-8.

Still have no results in the calendar, as it still shows the month in english. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks in advance

Luis

In reply to Luís Rocha Graça

by André Yamin -

Hi Luís,

It seems that you don't have the pt_BR locale instaled.

Try run sudo locale-gen pt_BR.UTF-8

Regards,

André Yamin.