Site News - exceeds limit

Site News - exceeds limit

by Pete MacKichan -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I am running a moodle with 3500 users. Recently we upgraded from 1.9 to 2.2 and everything seems to be running fine.

Once a month or so, the administrator makes a post to the SiteNews forum to let people know what is taking place. We have been doing this for a number of years without problems.

After the upgrade to 2.2 this no longer works. The e-mails bounce with a message from the server:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
zzz@myhome.com
Domain abcabc.co.uk has exceeded the max emails per hour (1250/1000 (125%)) allowed. Message discarded.

Obviously the server is trying to ensure that it is not being used to spam. However, the people who run the hoisting service say that they have not made any changes and this has alweays been the case - and yet, up to now, this has been working fine. This makes me wonder whether Moodle 2.2  is handling the mail delivery in a different way to Moodle 1.9 - for example did 1.9 bundle messages into bathches?

Any suggestions what I can do about this?

Best wishes,

Pete

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pete MacKichan

Re: Site News - exceeds limit

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think anything has changed. Email throttling has been a feature request for years and I don't think has ever got implemented.

Is it possible that the last time you sent a site-wide message you were under the limit?

Can you push the email through a different server perhaps?
In reply to Pete MacKichan

Re: Site News - exceeds limit

by Ananquel Gómez -

Hi!

I have the same problem with Moodle 2.0.7+

The hosting's help  tell me that the service is  limited to send emails (to 400 per hour). If I want more I have to pay or find a Moodle way to cluster e-mails.

I haven't fouund any solution yet, because I don't know how can I cluster e-mails in Moodle... Does anybody know if that's possible??

Thank you!