viewing correct answers while quiz is open

viewing correct answers while quiz is open

by Michal Bronstein -
Number of replies: 2

I defined a quiz to have 2 trials and no specified due date.

I want the students to see the correct answers after both trials (and not after the first trial).

If I choose the option of viewing the answers at a later time before the quiz is closed, will it  show the answers after both trials or after the first one as well?

If this won't give me the wanted result, is there another way?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michal Bronstein

Re: viewing correct answers while quiz is open

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can't actually do this, even though it would be useful.

What you can do is to change your quiz to How questions behave: Interactive with multiple tries. You then also need to add one Hint to each question.

If you do that, then as the student attempts the quiz, they will be able to submit each question separately. If they first resonse is wrong, they will immediately be able to try again. If they get it right the second time, they then get fewer marks. You can control the number of trys the student gets by varying the number of hints. If you set the right answer to be displayed during the attempt, then it will only be displayed after students have used both tries (or got the question right).

This is, pedagogically, a different sort of activity. The advantages are that the student focusses on one question at a time, and you can use the hints to give some partial guidance to try to encourage the student to work out the right answer on their own. (We typically use two hints at the OU, the first one very brief, and the second one giving more help.)

With your approach, students have to work through the whole quiz twice,  which may be an advantage. They also have to do the work of noting which questions they got wrong the first time, so they can change their answers to just those the second time. Thin may be an advantage, or an unnecssary hassle for the students.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: viewing correct answers while quiz is open

by Michal Bronstein -

The hints for the answers may be a good solution.

Thank you for the quick response.