Installing Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.2

by marco tiberi -
Number of replies: 16

Hi to everyone. I followed your instructions (Moodle 2.2) and I can see 

modulename mod_hotpot Extension      

Uninstall

and

[pluginname,qformat_hotpot] qformat_hotpot Extension  

in my "manage activities" page, but I can't see any choice like "HotPot" in the "Add an activity" menu.

Did I miss anything?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to marco tiberi

Re: Installing Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.2

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you login as Moodle admin and click Settings -> Site administration -> Notifications?

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by marco tiberi -

yes, but there are no notifications

In reply to marco tiberi

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hmm, I wonder what you mean ?

by marco tiberi -

Sorry, I mean that the notification page is empty. There are no messages there.

In reply to marco tiberi

by Gordon Bateson -

I see. It seems that Moodle has detected the HotPot software but cannot find the language strings.

Maybe this would help  ...

• Site administration -> Language -> Language -> Update all language packs

by marco tiberi -

done, but no change happens.

I have only english language pack.

In reply to marco tiberi

by Gordon Bateson -

OK, how about this then ...

• Settings -> Site adminstration -> Development -> Purge all caches

by marco tiberi -

done, but still no changes.

Thank you for your patience.

Marco

In reply to marco tiberi

by Gordon Bateson -

Do you remember ever seeing a Moodle page that said the HotPot module was being installed on your site?

Do you have these tables in your database?

• mdl_hotpot
  • mdl_hotpot_attempts
  • mdl_hotpot_cache
  • mdl_hotpot_details
  • mdl_hotpot_questions
  • mdl_hotpot_reponses
  • mdl_hotpot_strings

Do you have these files on your server?

• mod/hotpot/lang/en/hotpot.php
  • question/format/hotpot/lang/en/qformat_hotpot.php

Do the above files actually have anything in them?

Are they readable by your web server (Apache?)

Where did you get the hotpot files from?

Can you make me an administrator on your Moodle site so I can come and have a look?

Can you give me access to your server so I can come and install the module myself? It'll be quicker than continuing this conversation one asnwer at a time to one question at a time.

by marco tiberi -

"Do you remember ever seeing a Moodle page that said the HotPot module was being installed on your site?"

No, really I don't.

None of these tables is in the database:

• mdl_hotpot
  • mdl_hotpot_attempts
  • mdl_hotpot_cache
  • mdl_hotpot_details
  • mdl_hotpot_questions
  • mdl_hotpot_reponses
  • mdl_hotpot_strings

I haven't this file on the server:

mod/hotpot/lang/en/hotpot.php

I do have this file:

question/format/hotpot/lang/en/qformat_hotpot.php

and the content is:

// Moodle 2.0 - 2.1
$string['hotpot'] = 'Hot Potatoes XML format';
$string['hotpot_help'] = 'This is file format for importing questions from Hot Potatoes xml files, JCloze (jcl), JCross (jcw), JMatch (jmt), JMix(jmx), JQuiz (jqz), into the Moodle question bank.';
$string['hotpot_link'] = 'qformat/hotpot';

// Moodle >= 2.2
$string['pluginname'] = 'Hot Potatoes XML format';
$string['pluginname_help'] = 'This is file format for importing questions from Hot Potatoes xml files, JCloze (jcl), JCross (jcw), JMatch (jmt), JMix(jmx), JQuiz (jqz), into the Moodle question bank.';
$string['pluginname_link'] = 'qformat/hotpot';

The permissions on that file are 664  so I think that it is readable.

I got the files from Moodle plugins Directory.

The site is on my localhost (I am just studying moodle) so I think it is not so simple to let you enter the site. If this is possible tell me how to do it, please, and I will.

In reply to marco tiberi

by Gordon Bateson -

IF you do not have this file "mod/hotpot/lang/en/hotpot.php" then you have put the hotpot scripts in the wrong place, and the hotpot module is not yet installed on your site.

You need to put the "hotpot" folder containing the hotpot module into the folder called "mod" under the main the folder containing the Moodle scripts. Also, in the "mod" folder are the folders for the other activity modules, such as "assignment", "forum" and "quiz". Can you find that folder? Put the "hotpot" folder there, and make the owner and permissions the same as the folders for the other activity modules. When you set the owner and permissions, make sure you set them recursively, using the "-r" switch, so that permissions on all the files within the "hotpot" folder are also set correctly.

Once you are sure that "hotpot" folder is in the right place, try accessing the hotpot readme file. If your webserver (probably Apache) can read that, then the permissions are probably correct. The url of the readme file is something like this:

• http://localhost/moodle/mod/hotpot/readme.txt

Can your browser display that? If you can't, go back and fix the path, owner or permissions of the hotpot module script.

If you can view the readme.tt file, you are ready to install the module. To install the module, login to Moodle as the main administrator and click on Settings -> Site administration -> Notifications.

by marco tiberi -

Thank you Gordon,

the "mod/hotpot/lang/en/hotpot.php" was there. My mistake. Changing permissions to  /mod/hotpot (755) solved the problem.

Thank you very much

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Leire Gómez -

Hello Gordon,

I'm following your instructions and I've put the hotpot folder into the Moodle>Mod one. What I don't understand, though, are the instructions you give about this " . . . nd make the owner and permissions the same as the folders for the other activity modules. When you set the owner and permissions, make sure you set them recursively, using the "-r" switch, so that permissions on all the files within the "hotpot" folder are also set correctly".

I've checked into Settings>Site Administration> Notifications and I can read this message:

Modulo hotpot - - -  to be installed.

How can I finish the installation?

Thanks a lot.

In reply to Leire Gómez

by Gordon Bateson -

Hello Leire,

> How can I finish the installation?

Do you have a continue button at the bottom of the Notifications page? Click that wink

best regards
Gordon

by Leire Gómez -

Hello Gordon,

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm feeling kind of fool but since I didn't see the "continue" bottom yesterday.

Anyway, I've followed your instructions and hotpot seems to be correctly installed.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Leire.

In reply to Leire Gómez

by Gordon Bateson -

> hotpot seems to be correctly installed

Well done Leire! I hope you enjoy using the HotPot module smile

all the best
Gordon