Workshop maintainer wanted!

Re: Workshop maintainer wanted!

by Michael Penney -
Number of replies: 9
Hi Peter, we have a faculty member who has published on peer review (Dr. Elizabeth Eschenbach: Web Based Forms for Design Team Peer Evaluations) and had a tool written years ago in java, which no longer functions on our serverssad.

We've started working on a way to provide a peer review tool, based on the one that Virginia Tech wrote as discussed here:
http://www.manastungare.com/publications/powell_2006_online.pdf

The VT tool has some nice features: the rubric interface works with the quiz question interface, it has a pretty straightforward interface, and is set up to allow reviewing of any activity or resource in the course (though this has to be implemented by extending a class in the code).

Anyway, below are my review and design notes, with Dr. Eschenbach's criteria in bullets:

Michael Penney
LMS Project Manager
3/6/2006

Virginia Tech Moodle Peer Review Module Report & Development Proposal

Last week I tested, debugged, and reviewed the Peer Review module from Virginia Tech. It had a few bugs that needed recoding and I made one of the interface changes suggested by the original authors.

Unfortunately it is built to work with a newer version of the assignment module than the one we are using on the current main HSU Moodle installation, so we will not be able to run it on the main installation until we upgrade the assignment module this summer.

I set it up on our test installation, and we could copy the course list and send the students over to the new installation if you would like to try using it for a current course. The first required change as outlined below would be to

Measured against Dr. Eschenbachs criteria, the module meets the criteria below:

Peer Review
  • Faculty member builds a questionnaire for each student to complete.
  • The questionnaire has text boxes and/or numerical responses for students to complete.
The current module allows rubrics to be created which each student can fill out when reviewing another students work. These can contain multiple choices, true false, and open-ended questions.

Students can also send a file back to the reviewed student, either with or in lieu of the rubric.
  • Each student has to review a subset of students in the class, perhaps including self.
The instructor can assign a number of students to review each student's work. Peer review can be anonymous or not.
  • All peer reviews of a single student's work are added together randomly and anonymously in a single document that is made accessible to the student after faculty review.
This requirement is only partly met: reviews can be anonymous, and are available to the reviewed students, however they are available immediately after being reviewed, there is not currently a way for faculty to approve a review before the student sees it. There are functions for sending out email notifications after a review has been graded, so we may be able to use these functions to withhold the reviews from students until after faculty review.

It does not meet these two requirements:

• If possible, simple stats of numerical scores are provided and the student can see self assessment separately from peer assessment

Students cannot self assess and there are no overall statistics.

• Faculty can review and edit inappropriate answers

This is not supported in the current version, reviews become available as soon as students complete them.

Required changes:
These are the required changes for this module to meet Dr. Eschenbach original request:

1) Make it self contained (remove dependencies on assignment) OR make it an assignment plug-in. Making it self contained will make it able to run independent of assignment versions, but more importantly it will simplify the process of creating and using a peer review (as it will not require an assignment be set up first).
2) Add optional ability for instructors to control posting of reviews.
3) Add optional ability for students to self assess.
4) Make module stats available in a single page, anonymous for students and optionally anonymous for instructors.

From the VT teams list of changes:

a) Provide better feedback to instructors for new reviews regarding review status; provide intra-page navigation links to reviews received.
b) Improve email functions
c) Better comment code.

Currently it is not clear which students have been reviewed. This should be part of step 2, to show instructors a list of reviews that have been submitted.

Backup and restore code (currently rubrics are not backed up).

If folks message me I can send them a demo login.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Peter Sereinigg -

Hi Michael, I am deeply impressed of your inputs!

As i wrote above, we will structure ideas and whishes.

The modul name is important as a signal - and i am shure we will find a name, which fits the solution.

Some uses peer-review, some peer-assessments, peer-...

Peter

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by Josep M. Fontana -
I just found this thread. I'm glad this module is not going to disappear and that someone is going to become the maintainer. Since you are asking for some sort of a wish list, here are some ideas I outlined about what I would like to see in a peer review module:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28426&parent=185390

Josep M.

In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Peter Sereinigg -

Workshop WIILL NOT disappear breites Grinsen.

How should I organice my lessons , without Workshop übel ?

Thanks for your input!

Peter

by Josep M. Fontana -
Actually since you, and other people hanging out in this forum, I suppose, have a lot of experience with the Workshop module, maybe you can help me with this problem. I posted the call for help in the general problems forum (so, sorry for the cross posting), but now I realize this might be a better place to find a solution. So, here's the problem we are having:

The problem is that a couple of students pressed the 'submit' button before they could finish writing their assignment and now there is no way they can get back in to complete what they had started. The submission dates were extended to see whether that would allow them to go back in but to no avail. Is there any way to delete the "attempt", as you can do with the quiz module, for instance and allow the user to start afresh?

Josep M.

by Peter Sereinigg -
  • you may give them the oportunity of multiple tries - but this will change the grading strategy
  • if you delete the assiggnment - there will be a second change - BUT if the peer-review has been completet - WITH no content - you will loose this information from the other students ...

BUT in the new modul, which will be available until summer - THIS wil be fixed!

Peter

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Peter,

>if you delete the assiggnment - there will be a second change - BUT if the
>peer-review has been completet - WITH no content - you will loose this
>information from the other students ...

OK, you mean I will loose the peer evaluations submitted for those particular assignments, I suppose. NOT the evaluations submitted for the rest of the asignments, right?

Josep M.

by Peter Sereinigg -

Thats right, BUT I am not shure, if students who have done their reviews will get then another review. They will loose their work - this will be corrected in futur!

Peter

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, thanks!
Looking forward to seeing new developments in this module.

Josep M.