Permanent Penalty on T/Fs?

Permanent Penalty on T/Fs?

by Naomi Greenman -
Number of replies: 3

When I create a True/False question the Penalty factor is pemanently set to 1. Even with adaptive mode turned off for the quiz, when I do a re-grade it applies the penalty. I cannot seem to find a place where I can change this format on the T/F questions. When I go into editing for an individual question there is no box next to penalty to be able to edit it. It happens in Firefox and IE. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Naomi Greenman

Re: Permanent Penalty on T/Fs?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What do you mean "Even with adaptive mode turned off for the quiz, when I do a re-grade it applies the penalty"?

Please give us some steps to reproduce so that we can understand the problem. What I mean is something like

1. Create a quiz set up like ...
  2. Add one true-false question set up like ...
  3. Attempt this quiz as a student and submit the answer ...
  4. As teacher, go and regrade the quiz.

Expected result: ...

Acutal result: ...

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Naomi Greenman -

When I try to make a T/F question, I see the following:

1. Create question
  2. Select T/F
  3. Penalty box instead of having a box to edit, simply says 1. You are not able to change it.

Then we have noticed that when we create the quiz:

1. In the quiz settings we choose the Adaptive mode : No and apply Penalties: No, though this greys out when Adaptive mode is no.
  2. Then we go through the quiz (once it has been taken) and manually grade all questions that will not auto-grade, like essays.
  3. Once this has been done, we choose regrade.
  4. We expect it to come back with the accurate grades of the individual attempts
  5. Instead, sometimes, it will apply penalties (which we have turned off) to all or, more commonly, only part of the the attempts. Meaning 20 out of 100 will regrade wrong, with penalities applied. This last time, it was the 20 most recent attempts. Previous attempts by other individuals graded correctly, even though they took/missed the same questions. 
In reply to Naomi Greenman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Penalties are only relevant if Adaptive mode is Yes. The fact that regrade is computing the wrong scores must be caused by something other than penalty factor.

You are unlikely to get much help for Moodle 1.9 or 2.0. If you care about quizzes, you really need to plan to upgrade to Moodle 2.2.x (or anything >= 2.1). The question code was massively improved in that version.