First time install- [[cannotcreatedb]]

First time install- [[cannotcreatedb]]

by David Yarwood -
Number of replies: 6

Hi there,

This is my first time installing, having a few problems. I've been through the forum and it appears others have had this problem, however I cannot find a solution, hense the new post.

I'm installing 2.2.2 but cannot get past the database settings page.

I've selected localhost, entered the username and password.

I can access the database through phpMyAdmin so it is there!

The installer has not yet created a config.php file, so I have tried creating one manually, however this results in a blank page on the next screen.

I'd be really grateful for any help, I feel I'm on the edge of my technical abilities.

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Yarwood

Re: First time install- [[cannotcreatedb]]

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Would help to know a little more about the system ... operating system ... and if this is a remotely hosted solution and installed by a 'magic button' or server which is administered locally.

Sounds like a permissions issue on the moodle folder at web root.  If running Linux on Redhat/CentOS, the moodle folder at web root (regardless of how it was created: cvs, git, or unzipped by root user some files and folders become tagged as belonging to the root user - which Apache cannot read and will not serve [or shouldn't]).  Folder for the Moodle and all files/folders contained therein have to be owned by user 'apache' and group 'apache'.

phpmyadmin might show a db but does the db contain tables?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by David Yarwood -

Many thanks for the reply Ken. It is remotely hosted but it is a shared server which is why I'm having problems. 

I shall try again with the permissions.

All the best,

David

by Ken Task -

If you disclose at least the hosting provider, there could be users in these forums that host with the same provider and share their experiences/tweaks, etc. with you.

Hosting provider could have their own FAQ's, message board, community self-help and users that actually use the same system have learned to help themselves with a little help from tech support on those systems.

Due to the number of hosting providers, specific documentation for Moodle on them is a rather daunting task and would require much work by staff whose focus should be upon Moodle code itself.  There is, however, this:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Web_Hosts

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by David Yarwood -

Thanks again Ken,

My host is 34SP.com

I have to say they have been very responsive to my emails and questions. It looks like things are now up and running.

I'm not actually sure what the problem was, but I assume you were correct with the permissions as that was the information I passed on to them.

Now this is done the hard part of putting it all together starts! Exciting!

by Ken Task -

Great!  Glad it's working. The 'adventure' begins!

Favor ... mind asking your hosting provider what they did (if something 'special' and something they can share) and post response here so others who might (in the future) host with 34SP.com have a reference?

Since Moodle is open source and community is encouraged to participate, one can participate without coding and doing other guru-ish stuff by simply sharing information with others! ;)

Thanks, in advance!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Diane Mitchnick -

For what it's worth, I was using mysqli for my database through a WAMP server and it took me using the default for my MySQL server ("root" as the username, and leaving the password field blank) to correct the error (since it couldn't reach my MySQL server). Hopefully this helps someone in the future when troubleshooting.