All new AJAX Marking block for 2.1 and 2.2. Find your marking instantly!

All new AJAX Marking block for 2.1 and 2.2. Find your marking instantly!

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All

After an almost total rewrite since 1.9 (which has taken nearly two years), I've finally upgraded the AJAX Marking block to work with 2.1 and 2.2 and it's now got enough features to be really useful (I think!).

In case you're not familiar with it: the block shows teachers all of their unmarked work from across the whole site in one place, broken down into a tree (course -> activity -> student). The work can then be graded right there in a pop up without having to navigate away, and the block instantly updates itself to show what you've got left. It also now shows you how many recent, medium and overdue items there are for each course, activity, group, etc, and you can dynamically show or hide individual activities or groups within activities if you happen not to be assigned to grade those students' work within your institution.

Version 2.1.5b6 can be downloaded from this link (to install, rename the unzipped folder to 'ajax_marking', place it in the blocks directory and visit the 'notifications' page). It'll be in the plugins database here as soon as an odd security warning goes away when I try to upload zip files there. Currently, the files there are for 2.1.5b5, which has a couple of small bugs.

This version is now stable as far as I can tell, but I'd appreciate any feedback, bug reports etc so that I can make sure it's as solid as possible before adding a whole load of new stuff over the next few months. 

I'm developing this pretty quickly now, so I'm tweeting updates via @AJAX_Marking if you want to stay current, or you can subscribe to watch the project on github if you prefer.

Hope you like it!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: All new AJAX Marking block for 2.1 and 2.2. Find your marking instantly!

by Matt Gibson -

There's now a new beta (2.1.5b7), which fixes an issue where other blocks on the page got broken for some people, which I've uploaded to github. Download link here.

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Jason Crewe -

Love the block - so useful!

Sorry but I had a question from your documentation page.  You say "You have your course or activity set to 'separate groups' and you are not in the same groups as the students whose work you can't see. Many people use this technique to hide classes from teachers who don't teach them, so I've set the block up to respect this. Join all the groups in the course and you should be fine. "

I am having this problem but when you say to join the group do you mean as a student role?  I don't know how else to join a group if I am a teacher of the class.

In reply to Jason Crewe

by Matt Gibson -

You should be able to allocate yourself as a member of the group via the course administration block even if you're a teacher, the same way you can allocate students. If you can't the interface witht he lists of group members then you may not have permissions to do so. 

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Jason Crewe -

Thanks Matt, sorry to muddy up your post with help requests.

I sorted it, it was the way in which I made myself a teacher in the course.  I couldn't just assign roles as a manager, I had to enroll and then change the permissions.  Odd but it works just fine now.  Thanks.