Problems with ALL the translations (Please read) :-/

Problems with ALL the translations (Please read) :-/

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 2
Language translations have lots of lost strings, and even lost help files. This is very annoying. It seems like if none of the translation teams use the language options of the admin view, wich ar VERY useful tools for checking the translation.

"Check for missing strings" tells you what is to be done.

"Compare and edit current language" helps to edit the language files.

Even the native language of Moodle (English [en]) has a missing string. . All the translations I have checked (quite a lot) have lots of missing strings and files. Even Moodle 1.0.9, wich is a stable version, has lots of missing strings and files. Please, fix it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Problems with ALL the translations (Please read) :-/

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
David, be patient. The translators are all kind volunteers who work when they can. Many of them do not have access to CVS or the ability to run unstable nightly versions.

Note that releases never contain full translations - these are updated slowly AFTER a release (this is why there is a separate download page for them).

Also note that the English pack has been changing rapidly lately - it would be impossible for everyone to keep up.

When we have a beta release I would like to suggest that translators take a look at bringing their translations as up to date as possible before the 1.1 release.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Problems with ALL the translations (Please read) :-/

by David Delgado -
Sorry if I looked like demanding anything. I just wanted to make sure the translation teams know about this issue, wich is easy to fix, using the automatic detection of lost strings and files tool in Moodle.

I think that the best way to have a good translation is the one you have just pointed to: take the beta (no more changes but bug fixes) and try to update all the languages packs for the official release (if possible, since we only have a one week beta mixed ). I will try to help achieving this for the spanish translation, if I am good enough for it.