New matching question type

New matching question type

Brian King - келді
Number of replies: 15
Hi,

we had a need for a matching question type that wasn't covered by the existing match question type, so I went ahead and created it. Would people like to see this added to Moodle?

Below is a description of the question type, along with appropriate screenshot links.

Multimatch question type:
- Allows for one or more of several choices to be selected for one or more items (see screenshot) . Can also restrict to only allowing one choice per item to be selected.
- Allows the choices and/or items to consist of text and/or an image (see screenshot)
- Feedback can be provided for correct or incorrect response for each item (see screenshot)
- A global feedback can be provided, based on the percentage of items that were correct (see screenshot)

Regards,
Brian

In reply to Brian King

Re: New matching question type

Ralf Hilgenstock - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті

I like it. It is a good idea.

The idea of a global feedback is good. You added the global Feedback for each question. Can you add a global reaction field based on the result of all the questions of a test? That is an option some customer asked me in the last weeks. The next step than is that other learning activities are only active if the students reached more than x % in the test.

Regards Ralf

In reply to Brian King

Bernard Boucher - келді
Hi Brian,
very interresting and usefull options. I hope it will be at least available for download if it is not added to Moodle main distribution.

If so, it will be possible to modify the gift import format to keep in account of theses new features for the quiz and the lesson modules.

Thanks for your work,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

Ralf Hilgenstock - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті

Hi Brian,

we have different developments for questions in the quiz module and the lesson module. In lesson module we have now "essay question" in quiz we have "calculated questions".

Is it possible to develop the the questions types that they can be used in different modules?

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Duplication between quiz and lesson modules

Gustav W Delius - келді
I would like to second Ralf's request. It would really be better to avoid this duplication. In the quiz module questiontypes are classes and these same classes could really be used in the lesson module. It would be possible to add extra methods to the questiontype classes in case the lesson module needs additional functionality but most methods should simply be written so that they work in both modules.

Of course this would be best discussed in the lesson module forum, I will post there now and further discussion of this issue could take place in that thread.

In reply to Brian King

W Page - келді
Hi Brian!

This is such a cool tool.  I enjoyed the examples as well.

I agree with Bernard.  If it is not added to the main distribution, I hope you will make it available for download.

Thanks.

WP1
In reply to W Page

Lane Grann-Stahl - келді
I love it, too!  Please add to the next upgrade and provide a download in the meantime.

Regards,
Lane
Charlotte, NC
In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

Timothy Takemoto - келді
Are these matching questions available for download?
Is this different to the rendered matching which is in CVS?
Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Brian King - келді
Hi Timothy,

yes, it's different from the rendered matching (see the screenshots I provided in my first post, and compare them to the rendered matching questiontype).

I haven't made the code available, but I can.

Our production environment is stuck for the moment at moodle 1.4, so it'll take a bit of work to convert it to 1.5 / 1.6 format, which has quite a few changes.

I hesitated to publish the code originally, because it hadn't had much in-house testing yet.  Now it has had some real-life experience, so I'm more comfortable with the idea of releasing it.

Regards,
Brian

In reply to Brian King

Michael Penney - келді
Just a note on this, renderedmatch supports images in both the question and the answers.
Attachment rmatch2.gif
In reply to Michael Penney

Brian King - келді
I believe the main functional difference, is that the multimatch questiontype that I developed allows one OR several answers to be selected for each question.

For example, using multimatch, if multiple answers are allowed:
for Sacramento, you could choose 0 to all of these answers (sometimes 0 answers is correct):
- California
- New Mexico
- Kentucky
- France

(in this case, the correct answers are California, New Mexico, and Kentucky)

Because of this, the presentation is also a little different (radio buttons if only 0 or one answer for each question is allowed, checkboxes if 0 ... n answers are allowed).

In the multimatch question editor, you can enter text and/or select an image to be used for each question and for each answer. This makes it easier to export the question details with QTI export so that it can packaged up, and there won't be any hardcoded http://moodle.myserver.edu/path/file links, which may not be accessible from the target environment.

Regards,
Brian

In reply to Brian King

Timothy Takemoto - келді
Thanks very much Brian, and sorry it has taken me two weeks to read this. I think that rendered match, which is in CVS, will probably do for me - because I do not need multiple right answers - but of course somethign that combined the two would be ideal. It is a shame that all great hacks do not get incorporated. Perhaps with the modularised quest type framework (question types are now sort of modules within modules, I believe) it may be easier to realease more question types.
Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

N Hansen - келді
Does either one of these question types allow for a matching type where the first column has many items (say 80) and the possible answers are limited to only 12, with only one of the twelve being correct for each of the 80? And is there a 1.5 version of Brian's question type available if it does do this?