Moodle 1.1 dev (2003081001) BUGS

Moodle 1.1 dev (2003081001) BUGS

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 10
1) Course backup works fine, but course restore fails.

Error:

"Creating temporary structures
Deleting old data
Copying zip file
Unzipping backup
Checking backup

An error has ocurred

Continue"

You are in an admin path, and continue takes you to the main page of Moodle, out of the course.

You can list the .zip file, and it seems like if you could unzip it, but it is not real. By the way, lots of backup files in moodledata/temp/backup that are never deleted. mixed

2) Admin has a course backup, but it does not have a course restore

3) When I enter as admin and "Add a new topic..." to the site "Latest news", it adds it, but it enters another course afterwards, instead of reloading the main page.

4) When being admin and entering Administration/Courses it turns edit=on and this global variable remains for the whole site, wherever you go everything is in edit mode: main page, each course,...

5) Moodle MySQL Admin 1.0.8.1 fails with latest versions. It worked perfectly with Moodle 1.0.9. Anyway the original phpMyAdmin is a good alternative and works perfectly.

6) As admin go to "Add a new user" and go back to admin, without really adding any user -> creates a blank name user

7) When you create a quiz, this string is wrong: eachattemptbuildsonthelast

8) Being a student or teacher at the main page, with the course list in the center, "My courses" appear.

8.1) If you dare search for any course, an error occurs:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_courses_search() in c:\archivos de programa\apache group\apache\htdocs\moodle\course\search.php on line 36"

8.2) If you try to list "All courses", nothing happens. sad

9) Random short-answer matching questions have a problem: if you use in any short-answer question more than one answer, it takes any of them. I think it should take the one having 100% of the score.

10) Language translations have lots of lost strings, and even lost help files. This is very annoying. It seems like if none of the translation teams use the language options of the admin view, wich ar VERY useful tools for checking the translation.

"Check for missing strings" tells you what is to be done.

"Compare and edit current language" helps to edit the language files.

Even the native language of Moodle (English [en]) has a missing string. wink. All the translations I have checked (quite a lot) have lots of missing strings and files. Even Moodle 1.0.9, wich is a stable version, has lots of missing strings and files. Please, fix it. Perhaps I could help with spanish translation, if you want.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Moodle 1.1 dev (2003081001) BUGS - 1 more

by David Delgado -
When you select in any course the option to let the guest users enter (with or without key) it does not work. The "enter as guest" button does not appear. Anyway, you can still access as user: guest, password: guess.

by John Gone -
Login to your site as admin -> select authentication -> go to "Guest Login" and select either "Show" or "Hide"
In reply to John Gone

by David Delgado -
Thank you for the answer, John. Anyway, it was already solved at the Bug tracker in Bug 610# and marked as "Not a bug". I did not notice about that setting. Sorry for marking it as a bug.

Re: Moodle 1.1 dev (2003081001) BUGS

by Claudio Tavares -
Hi David

You are wellcome to join us in the spanish translation in the spanish forum.
You know, as Moodle grows very fast, we try to keep the translations up to date, at least the strings. In fact, all the strings were updated yesterday smile
They are in cvs, and I think you can download them with the button in edit language page.
We still have some lost strings in survey.php, but Fermin Cueva is working on it.
Now we need to do exactly what yo did: Compare "es" version against "en" version.
So, if you can send us a detailed comparison it will be highly appreciated and your name will be placed as a collaborator in the index page.
After that, if you want to translate something... what could be better?

Best regards
In reply to Claudio Tavares

by David Delgado -
Now we need to do exactly what yo did: Compare "es" version against "en" version.
So, if you can send us a detailed comparison it will be highly appreciated and your name will be placed as a collaborator in the index page

You do not have to do anything, it is already done by Moodle automatically:

Enter Moodle as admin, in the menu on your left, there is an option called "Languages", click on it, and you will find 2 options:

"Check for missing strings" checks all the missing strings and help files.

"Compare and edit current language" helps to edit the language files.

Pretty easy. Please do not releasy any new version of the translation without making sure that "Check for missing strings" reports no missing strings nor files.

Regarding my help to the translation, I have a lot of experience, since I was the Project Manager for the translation of WebCT into Spanish for several years.

Anyway, the best way to make it is to work with profesional translators and Moodle experts, making a team(that was the way we did with WebCT). That is because translators do not know the technical terminology very well and technicians do not know English grammar and tips as translators do. wink Perhaps I could find a translator to review the terminology and grammar, etc.

Anyway, if you have something to translate, I can do it myself (the quality of my translations would be a little better that this message, since I would take care with spellings. wink. Please, do not send me too much work, I have a lot to do of my own. tongueout

Just remember that, use the automatic Moodle language check tool, and tell me if I can translate anything. You will find my e-mail in my profile.

by Claudio Tavares -
Great!
Is good to have you with us smile

About translations:

The translation feature in Moodle (great tool), just check for strings of root php files.
Those strings are all translated as I told you before (exception survey.php, for content reasons).
We need to compare all the other files, in docs and help folders and subfolders, that are so much more.
I think you knew that because you said "Language translations have lots of lost strings, and even lost help files."
You know, sometimes Martin make changes to those files without notice, sometimes he create a file with no contents, in order to add contents later, and we do not have anything to translate.
That creates the problem we have: some help and docs files are not up to date, and now we want to update all for the 1.1 relase in August 20.

By the way, there are not missed files in "es" translation,wink there are some files just released in english that we doesn´t translated yet, and there are no missed strings neither wink

So, if "All the translations I have checked (quite a lot) have lots of missing strings and files", we'll highly appreciate you point this missing strings and files to us in spanish international "es" version smile

Could you do this for us?
I hope this is not so much work, we can make the translations, if you can't do everything, then just do the docs folder, that will helps.
In reply to Claudio Tavares

Re: Moodle 1.1 dev (2003081001) BUGS - Spanish translation

by David Delgado -
You wrote:

By the way, there are not missed files in "es" translation, there are some files just released in english that we doesn´t translated yet, and there are no missed strings neither

So, if "All the translations I have checked (quite a lot) have lots of missing strings and files", we'll highly appreciate you point this missing strings and files to us in spanish international "es" version

I think you have missed something, please make sure you are running Moodle as admin, AND that you are using the Spanish (es) interface, click on "Idioma" in the admin menu on your left, and make sure there is a line that tells "Idioma actual: es - Español - Internacional", click on "Revisar cadenas (strings) perdidas", and you will find lots of missing strings (about 200) and 8 missing files (perhaps they haven´t been translated yet). You will find a copy of the results of that action attached in this message.

Do you want me to fix all them? I can do it, but I would need a Glossary for the translation of the common terms. Have you made one yet? If not, it will be much more difficult for me, since I will have to find how you have translated any term before (to avoid using different translations for the same terms, a must in any team translation).

Regarding de ~moodle/lang/es/docs documents:

1) You lost a lot of the HTML code. Take care about it. Use HTML editors that do not modify HTML marks, but content. (I think Dreamweaver achieves it, but you can also use a plain text editor like WordPad, taking care of the html marks). Anyway it can be fixed, but it will be quite an ammount of work.

2) It is a translation of a very old version. The /docs files have changed a lot: take a look for example at future.html, faq.html or the missing installamp.html.

I can try to fix all this, but it starts to me that it needs more time than I have. Perhaps I could start fixing the missing strings (not the missing help files), and I would see if I get time enough for anything else. I am overloaded tongueout. All I need is the glossary, if you have any.

By the way, please, continue this discussion by email or in the Spanish forum (it is funny that we both speak Spanish as our native language and we talk in English big grin ). It is also interesting that this thread becomes more involved with the other 10 bugs I found in the current development version of Moodle 1.1.

Re: Moodle 1.1 dev (2003081001) BUGS - Spanish translation

by David Delgado -
Sorry, Claudio, I was wrong sad. I had checked the latest Moodle 1.1 dev release (2003081001) but I did not notice that the translators keep updating the files without any change in Moddle version number.

I took the latest nighties again and I saw your improvement on the translation process. The only strings that are now missing are, as you said, the Survey ones (survey.php), wich are many, but not as many as before wink. Anyway, you said they are in progress, so it is controlled. smile

You also have 9 little help files to finish, wich are a little number for the whole ammount of help files that there are.

So, if I am right, to finish we have to:

1) Finish the survey strings and help files(assigned)

2) Finish the other 7 help files

3) Check and fix all the help files with the English ones

4) Check and fix the documentation /docs with the English one.

So, just tell me what do you want me to do, and I will try to. Perhaps point 4)?

Please, tell me if you already have a Glossary. If so, much easier to translate. If not, I will try to start making one, based on your current translation.

Please, continue this discussion by e-mail ( davidds@apren-d.com ) or in the Spanish forum. Thank you very much for your help. I am glad to contribute, if possible. smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Please just report bugs in the Moodle bugs database - there's no need to duplicate them here.

Some of these are not actually bugs, anyway.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by David Delgado -
Sorry, I will do that from now. I am sorry for the ones not being really bugs (I found 1, for now). Just wanted to help.