Gradebook

Picture of James Sick
Restricting Teachers to viewing their own students grades ONLY

I am hoping to use Moodle as a repository for Program Wide test results, quizzes, and evaluations. The idea is that all students will enroll in the course using a group enrollment key. As test scores are entered, individual students will be able to check their results. Teachers, in charge of a section (group), will be able to check and download their class results from the gradebook by choosing a section.

A problem that has arisen is that teachers will also be able to view results from other classes, which is against institution policy. Is there a way I can set this up so that a teacher or non-editing teacher will see ONLY grades from the section they are assigned to?

I've experimented with assigning a non-editing teacher to a group, but it seems NS teachers can still view grades from all other groups as well. Any ideas?

Jim

Mary Cooch
Re: Restricting Teachers to viewing their own students grades ONLY
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Use groups  -have your students and teachers in separate  groups and then Go to Settings>Users>permissions>define roles and prevent teachers from being able to "access all groups" -the capability: moodle/site:accessallgroups. Information about groups is here http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Groups and you can have them self enrol into a group with a group enrolment key

Picture of James Sick

Thank you, Mary. I've found and tested the settings and they do what I want to do. For others following this thread, I'll add that it can also be set at the course level rather than site level, in roles/override permissions, providing you have admin status.

Since I'm not normally granted admin status at the institution, I'll get the admins to restrict all-groups access for non-editing teachers, and then enroll course teachers as "non-editing." Non-editing is preferable anyway, as we will import grades and don't want teachers altering them.

Picture of Nic R.

Hello, If moodle/site:accessallgroups is set will this mean non-editing teachers will only see their students in the grade book and what we are keen to know, only see their group members when running the completed activity report from the course reports? Thank you!! Nic
Picture of Annick Fructoso

When applying these settings the non editing teacher can only see his group in the gradebook but can still see all the submitted assignments or activities for all the groups/students.

How can we prevent this?

Many Thanks