Quiz Point Values

Quiz Point Values

by Linda Lee -
Number of replies: 8

I have an exam that is randomly pulling questions in from chapter quizzes.  The questions come in at 1 point each.  I would like them to be worth 3 points each. 100 questions total.  Do I really have to change the point value one-by-one?!  That is crazy.  Please tell me I'm wrong!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Linda Lee

Re: Quiz Point Values

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm sorry, but yes, you do have to change them one-by-one. It is totally crazy. Sadly there is not an easy way to fix this bit of user-interface stupidity.

The only alternative I can think of is to edit the values in the database. They are stored in the quiz_question_instances table.

We really must fix this one.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Allen -

3 years later and I am wondering if this problem is related to mine and if this is still unresolved...

In my case, the quiz is pulling 25 questions from a category with 45 questions in total.  Some questions have 1 mark, some 3, some 4 and one has 6.  These values have all been entered into the default mark field in the specific question config. However it appears that each question is given a value of 1 regardless?  

Is this the case?  Is it possible to edit the points values after the fact (upon reviewing the specific questions that were randomly allocated)?

In reply to Tim Allen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is supposed to work that way.

In a quiz, each 'slot' has a maximum mark, which is set on the Edit quiz page. That maximum applies whatever question goes there in a particular student's quiz attempt.

The 'Default mark' only applies to initialise the Max mark when you add a (non-random) question to the quiz.

To get something close to what you want, you would need to put your questions into categories in the question bank organised by grade, then you could add questions from each category, with an appropriate Max mark in the quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Allen -

Thanks for that Tim, now I'll know how to do it for next time! We'll have to mark it manually this time, as I can't see a way to change the allocated marks after the fact.  mixed

In reply to Linda Lee

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Might you be able to set the quiz total to 300 points? Maybe my example below will help.  (Tim, can't one do this?)

Another way to do this might be in the grade book.  Edit the quiz and make the multiplier be 3.

Change points

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -

Yes, you can do that, but that only controls the final grade of the quiz. As the student is attempting the quiz, it will still show each question as being marked out of 1 mark, and it will show a final mark out of 20. It is just that it will then also show the final mark re-scaled to be out of 300 (or perhaps 60 would be a better maximum grade to set).

Having each in question individually worth 3 marks is slighly different, and this difference can be important.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yep, now I remember this.  I have had a situation like this for an exam, where I adjust the raw score on exam by creating a special offset and multiplier in the grade book.  Some students who don't see my note might feel bad when finishing the exam because they see that they only got a 60/100.  But then I tell them to look at the gradebook where their adjusted score is 80.  Of course, they feel much better.

Interesting issue, and problem.  Right now, I can't think of any better approach?  I am sure that there are equally good reasons not to provide the adjusted score when submitting a quiz.

The good news is that at least there is some way of handling the eventual grade.  In products like Blackboard, you are much more restricted about grading.

In reply to Linda Lee

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.