Large student body, meta course, child course enrollment

Large student body, meta course, child course enrollment

by edward Lange -
Number of replies: 0

Hello Everyone,

I've just joined the Business English department at a new university and we are dealing with a rather explosive amount of growth in the student body that is straining the old ways of managing administration. I'm hoping a better use of our moodle platform could be the answer.

We have roughly 3000 students taking eight progressive Business English classes (Business English 1-8) during their degree program. Currently, there are nine teachers managing the instruction with help from guest lecturers and tutors. Soon we will be introducing an online writing feedback element so that students can get feedback on individual writing samples they submit.  

Enrollment is the first issue we need to tackle. I'd like some advice about how to set the course up so that a student can only choose one of the Business English 1-8 courses, while maintaining the ability to take the courses out of sequence, and filter them through a metacourse (e.g. Business English 2) to a child course (e.g. Mr. Lange's Business English 2 10:00-12:00) with a self-enrollment that would prevent them from simultaneously self enrolling in other courses in the metacourse. In other words, I need to allow them to choose their instrcutor/class time while not allowing them to enroll in multiply child courses or metacourses (e.g. Business English 2 and 3) within the same semester.

Could someone with experience in this sort of set-up help with advice about the architecture needed? Thanks, I hope this hasn't been covered before. I did use the search feature but didn't find what I was looking for.

Best wishes,

Ned 

Average of ratings: -