SCORM course certificate

SCORM course certificate

by Jeff Richards -
Number of replies: 10

I am running Moodle 2.0.8 and using eXe to create my SCORM.  I want to have the student print a certificate after competion and have that controlled by a passing grade.

I have enabled completion tracking in Moodle and have loaded and installed the certificate module to my mod folder then upgraded Moodle from my notifications.

Every tutorial I have found for adding a certificate relates to topic and weekly courses.  I use SCORM presentation of slides with audio.  Is it possible to assign a certificate to the course with this set up?

If so, how?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Richards

Re: SCORM course certificate

by Michael Pearce -

Hi Jeff,

I've just run up against the same problem - I know your question was 12 months ago, but did you find a solution?

Thanks, Michael.

In reply to Michael Pearce

by Mia Musolino -

yes you can have a certificate with a SCORM course. Just make the certificate access conditional on passing or completing the SCORM course, whichever you prefer.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Michael Pearce -
Thanks Mia, I'm glad it can be done!

I can't seem to add a certificate to the course, they always appear in the main menu rather than an part of the course.  I've looked but can't find a guide on how to do this for a scorm course - do you have any tips please?

by Mia Musolino -

I only have experience w/ the latest Moodle and certificate plugin versions (Moodle 2.4), so if you are using an older version of either or both this might not help you. I  add the certificate to the course by adding an activity, then configure the certificate activity like any other activity, with the access settings in the settings for the certificate. Does that help?

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Michael Pearce -

I'm running Moodle 2.4.1 and plugin 2.4

The core problem is that I can only seem to add an activity to the main menu - not to a course.  I realise this sounds odd!  When I am looking at the course I never see an option to "add an activity or resource" - I only see this on the main menu page.  

When I add a certificate at this level I can see the url contains "courseid=1" but I know my course has an id of 2...

Hope that helps explain my problem a little more clearly smile

by Mia Musolino -

OK now I understand what I think your problem might be, which is scary because I'm kind of new to Moodle!!!

It SOUNDS like you might have created a SCORM course, which only allows one activity (the SCORM activity itself). If you want to have a certificate available after SCORM completion, you need to create your course in Topics format (Add course > Edit Course Settings > Format > Topics Format). Your course can just have one topic, but within that one topic you'll be able to add multiple activities, one of which can be your SCORM activity and one can be your Certificate activity. Once you have your topics-based course set up, add an activity of the type SCORM Package and load the SCORM package there, then add an activity of Certificate after that. Each of the activities (SCORM package and Certificate) will have its own settings for you to set up access and the like.

Does this help?

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Michael Pearce -

Thanks Mia, perfect!!  Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away and only just tried this out.

One follow up question, do you know how I completely hide the Topic 1, Topic 2, Topic 3... sections?  I've tried making them invisible, but that just puts up a "Not available" block instead.

by Michael Pearce -

scrap that last one, it was a stupid question - all sorted!

Thanks again smile