Does Moodle 2.0 only run on a dedicated server with the best performance?

Does Moodle 2.0 only run on a dedicated server with the best performance?

by Joanna Tsai -
Number of replies: 2

The version I used is 2.0.2.

On March 28th, the hosting company sent email about the CPU excessive Usage,

"+------------------+----------+-----------+--------------+--------------+
| USER | CPU_TIME | BUSY_TIME | ROWS_FETCHED | ROWS_UPDATED |
+------------------+----------+-----------+--------------+--------------+
| dengshan_culture | 1407334 | 1464494 | 303427433 | 1173845 |

While, unfortunately, I was out for travel business, not checked the mailbox, they sent the output and deleted my account.

| USER | CPU_TIME | BUSY_TIME | ROWS_FETCHED | ROWS_UPDATED |
| dengshan_culture | 2274526 | 2422724 | 449397613 | 1416696 |

At present, the moudle I used is forum.

The current online person is 0, as I am still adding the contents, I set courses as invisible.

They suggest a full blown dedicated server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywebhost View Post
I am not familiar with Hawkhosts plans or services, but according to the rep that responded it sounded like he would need a full blown dedicated server.

That might not be 100% accurate I was giving an estimate there. Though when you're using an entire CPU core (X5675 CPU) via mySQL on average and during peak times bursting even higher you probably would max out a lot of VPS's.

It is Hawkhost, acctually before March 28th, it never alerted me, I only post some threads on April 5th, the course is not open, so I reckon only delicated servers can be suitable for Moodle 2.0 above, right?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Tsai

Re: Does Moodle 2.0 only run on a dedicated server with the best performance?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

It is true that Moodle is much more demanding than most of the common web applications, not to mention static websites. But that does not mean Moodle runs only on fully dedicated servers. This is what the documentation says, "What are your hardware/hosting requirements? Moodle scales easily but, depending on your requirements, you could be looking at anywhere along the spectrum - shared hosting, dedicated virtual host, your own server, your own multiple server setup."
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle#Planning

That means, shared hosting is possible. It of course depends on how much power you need and how much power the hosting service allow. What your hoster trying to say is that the shared hosting plans they have are not sufficient for your demand.

This is not the first time such thing happens. This forum has plenty of stories where the hosting provider canceled the hosting plan. You have to find a better one.
In reply to Joanna Tsai

Re: Does Moodle 2.0 only run on a dedicated server with the best performance?

by Grant Mucha -

Hello Joanna,

You would do well to move to a VPS or even a low end dedicated server properly configured for Moodle.

Properly configured, I mean you can specifically optimized everything from (Apache / Nginx / MySQL) to handle inquiries.

Also you may want to consider Moodle 2.2+ one you move to a VPS or dedicated server with PHP 5.3+