Entering HTML symbols directly?

by Lars Jensen -
Number of replies: 2
How can I enter html symbols like these directly through the keyboard :

α β ξ

To enter these charachers I first togged to html source, and then typed

α β ξ

and then togged back .

Is there a way to enter above symbols directly, without having to toggle back and forth.

Thanks,
Lars.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: Entering HTML symbols directly?

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Lars,
 I do have the necessity to add alphas and betas from time to time. I have found a way to easily add "HTML entities". The editor already have an "Insert Spacial Character". All we need to do is to add the desired symbols to the menu displayed by that button.

How?. Easy, although involves modifying the code or your site. That means that this trick will only work in you site, not every Moodle site.
Ask the administrator of your site to look for file moodle/lib/editor/popups/dlg_ins_char.php
 and there , to edit the line:
var chars = ["!",""","#",   ....  ,"ÿ", "α", "β", "Ω"]

All he need to do is adding here the character entity codes for the symbols you need.

Hope that helps

- Enrique -
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: Entering HTML symbols directly?

by Jaime Alamo -
As I tell in the other post after Enrique:

In order to just insert alphas and betas , I write a's and b's, select them and set Symbol font for them.
Obviously, to have this operative, the admin must set it first , in Configuration ->Editor settings -> add Symbol font. I don't know if there is a limit on how many fonts can be added. The admin adds one at a time, and always appears a new blank entry box.
this way, it is not inserted &alpha; but <span style="font-family: symbol;">a

First is shorter,  but both yield the same result.