Help! Entirely New to Moodle and elearning

Help! Entirely New to Moodle and elearning

by Kieran Swingland -
Number of replies: 10

Hello.

Need a bit of guidence, an employer of mine wants to employ Moodle to deliver courses, I have been charge in doing this.

I have installed a test miniserver on my computer (wampserver) and got Moodle running through it.

This is as far as I have got :D

I need to know how to write a moodle course, ideally in SCORM package.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kieran Swingland

Re: Help! Entirely New to Moodle and elearning

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there! Well you have come to the right place, so that's a good start. Why do you feel you should write your Moodle course as a SCORM package? Is it because you want to use it outside of Moodle or you don't think  you will be using Moodle for ever? There are some links in the documentation to various SCORM authoring packages but frankly, it is much easier and quicker and gets better reporting if you use Moodle's built-in activities to build your Moodle course. Take a look here. http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Managing_a_Moodle_course

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kieran Swingland -

Ah, thank you for the response.

Why scorm?  well, while currently I have no plans to move from moodle, there might be the potential in the future. Prehaps I am jumping the gun but I would like prepare for the future. Plus scorm seems to be much touted as the pinnicle of elearning, so it seems prudent to learn. 

That said; I would gladly settle for any good tutorials (such as the one you indicated) on writing and setting up courses in Moodle!!! especially if they are step-by-step sort.

But might you also point me towards any Scorm tutorials you know of?

Thanks, Mary

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

HI again. Well, frankly, the documentation this site will give you all you need. Just read through the concept of "course"http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Courses and then take a look at the actitvities and resources (and what the terms mean) http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Activities and http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Resources You need to choose a balanced mix of static resources, interactive and collaborative and assessed activities. I understand about your desire to play it safe with SCORM - I dont know of tutorials but each of those links in my earlier post to SCORM authoring tools should take you to some online help there.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tammy Moore -

Adobe Captivate can produce SCORM packages. You can get Captivate by itself or get a full suite of tools in the Adobe e-Learning suite. The suite has integrated drawing software and Flash (useful for animation and adding interactivity beyond what Captivate can do alone). I have the e-Learning suite and use it daily in making my courses, but I don't use the SCORM features. I use Moodle for the scoreable components and the e-Learning suite for building interactive presentations.

Articulate has some tools to make SCORM as well. I haven't used Articulate products, but the support system for Articulate's products is very nice. 

Now that being said, I can give you a few pros and cons about SCORM. The pro, when you have the tools and you own the development files it is a lot of fun and makes some excellent presentation materials. The difference between the good presentations and bad presentations that are built though is equally as much the creativity and talent that goes in to it as it is the tools. You can end up with merely a ho-hum bulleted Powerpoint presentation with some quizzes or you can really create something that is educational as well as entertaining. Take a look at the winners of the Articulate GUru awards at http://www.articulate.com/community/showcase/?page_id=203

The con is that once it is published and placed in a course, the instructors cannot make needed changes to customize or fix the SCORM. They won't have the tools nor will they have access to the raw files to fix and customize things. Whereas if you build it in Moodle they can make all the adjustments that they need to make without any addittional tools when it comes to the graded components.

We have always made our own courses, but this school year we were so excited to actually use a professionally built course that was largely SCORM. For all the anticipated lightening of the development load we found it to be profoundly frustrating to work with SCORM because we were stuck with the way the company made the course. We found many bugs, particularly with the score reporting between the SCORM and the grade book. Out of about 40 SCORMS, maybe 10 reported to Moodle properly. It made the course a nightmare for the instructor because trying to determine the actual grade of the students was near impossible. It was very frustrating for the students too because they would do the work and their reported grade would be 0.

Now this was mostly an issue of very poor quality control on the part of this professional level course provider. Sending merely one student through the course before release would have caught this problem. My point though is that we were stuck with the problems because we couldn't go in and change things inside of SCORM. We had need of customizing the course to meet the student's needs better and couldn't change anything. The experience has brought us to decide that we wouldn't lightly go with a grade-reporting SCORM course again without a very thorough investigation of the quality of the SCORM components that must send grades to the grade book. We prefer instead to have the grade-based activities be in the Moodle format so that our instructors have the tools and access to adjust the course as needed.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tammy Moore

by Alvaro Callata -

Tammy, you have the source code? but you can edit you activities.

In reply to Alvaro Callata

by Tammy Moore -

I build courses for other instructors. When I am working in my own courses, it is easy for me to edit because I have the captivate files and the Captivate software.

However, when the course is passed on, the teacher that gets the course after me generally doesn't have the Captivate to make adjustments to the SCORM activity even when I provide the sources files in the course or elsewhere. THat is what I meant about a con. When a course is built with Moodle tools, the tools are in Moodle to make changes as needed.

One thing we are watching closely is the Adobe Creative Cloud. It will allow a monthly subscription. Where it would be cost prohibitive to buy Captivate for our shot-term volunteers, a subscription will let us provide the tools just when they are needed at a lower cost.

In reply to Tammy Moore

by Ted Curran -

Hi All--

I have a similar challenge. I am building a course in Moodle, but I want to actually design the learning modules in HTML5 and then upload the files into Moodle for delivery. I'd like to have integrated quizzes, input forms, and other user interactions delivered "inline" or within the flow of the rest of the presentation, and I don't know the best way to do this within Moodle. Ideally, I'd like to trigger Moodle's completion events based on users' responses to quiz questions in the learning module. 

Traditionally, eLearning designers would make something like this in Articulate or Captivate (Flash) and then send the user score back to the Moodle gradebook via SCORM so it could be tabulated. I know that now you can output HTML5 from those packages but I don't know how they send user data back into Moodle.

What do you think is the best way to allow user inputs into an HTML learning module so they can send scores back to the Moodle system itself?

Thanks-
Ted

In reply to Ted Curran

by Derek Chirnside -

I've been watching this product for a few months:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/

It is possible to deploy these packages in Moodle.  Just how easy this is to do with core Moodle is the question.  The final stage (ie getting the results to talk TO Moodle) is the challenge, and probably it is like Physics as Rutherford explained it.  "Basically impossible to understand, until you do understand it and then it is trivial."

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)