I cannot edit quiz after first edition

I cannot edit quiz after first edition

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 7

When I add a quiz, I can edit it, and add questions, as normal. But, after I finish editing it, and do some other stuff, when I come back to the quiz to edit it and add some more questions, I do not see the Edit button anymore. I have no quiz attemps from any student. I am using the very lastest Moodle 2.2.2+

I have been researching, searching, and trying on my own, but I do not find any solution. Can anyone tell me how can I edit any quiz more than one time? Thank you very much in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: I cannot edit quiz after first edition

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is very odd. Normally you can edit the quiz until there is an attempt.

Something you did in the "do some other stuff" must have caused the problem. Can you try repeating the different things you did on a new quiz, to try to work out what is is you did that caused the problem?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Delgado -

This is exactly what I do (I have done it several times, always with the same result):

1) I login as admin

2) I go to the main course page

3) I edit the course

4) I create the Quiz, I just change to Random order of questions and Show picture of the student.

5) I go to the quiz and select "Edit"

6) I add 2 test questions in the category of the quiz

7) I add a random question from the 2 questions created

8) I select max score = 10 and question value = 10 

9) I save

10) I come back to the main course page (that's the only "other stuff" now)

11) I click again in the test, and see nothing but "Start" button. sad

Anyone guess what the problem is? 

Re: I cannot edit quiz after first edition - Confirmed, Tim, it's a BUG

by David Delgado -

If I manually use "the command line":

http://www.mymoodleserver.com/mod/quiz/edit.php?cmid=quizid

It works perfectly. It is just the "Edit" button that is missed, after the first edit.

Please, Tim, confirm you can reproduce the bug and see if you can fix it when possible.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ah, I see your problem now.

The best way to get to the edit quiz page is to use the link in the settings block.

The 'Edit quiz' button that appears in the middle of the page is only displayed if the quiz has not been created yet. I added that because people did not know what to do when they had first creted a new quiz, and adding this button seemed like a good way to point them in the right direction.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Delgado -

Ok, I see. Silly me! I just looked at the Navigation block and not the Settings block. Sorry. 

Anyway, perhaps it could be better to keep that button whenever you are allowed to edit the Quiz, to avoid confusions and make things easier. Just a suggestion.

by Tim Hunt -

I am reluctant to do that. It is a usability heuristic that is bad to have two ways to access the same functionality. It gives your brain an unnecessary choice that it has to think about every time you have to access the feature. Much better if there is just one way (In this case, click the link in the settings block), then your brain learns to do that without thinking.

(There must be articles online that explain this better than I just did, but I cannot find one now.)

So, acutally, it might be better to remove that edit quiz button, and insead to change the message to tell people "Find the Edit quiz link in the settings block." That would be less convenient at first, but would be better for people in the long run.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Delgado -

I agree with that solution. Sounds good to me. smile