The infamous Installation must be finished from the original IP address

The infamous Installation must be finished from the original IP address

by Brian LaMaster -
Number of replies: 6

Yeah, it’s the great error message “Installation must be finished from the original IP address, sorry”. I am running Moodle 2.0.3 on WHM 11.30.6 & cPanel 11. And I’ve recently migrated to this new server and the techs were trying to help me migrate. However, for some reason on this install of Moodle it “requested” more information than they desired extract from me so they said I needed to finish the install. Now, the install was a live running Moodle site.

So, I backed up the config.php file and started to do the install again when I received the message. What are my options here? I’ve looked at other posts regarding this matter, and none of them seemed to resolve this issue without deleting the database and that is not an option because I have data in the database.

Oh, I’m running WordPress 3.3.1 at the root level, and my Moodle site is in its own directory.

Thanks,

Brian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian LaMaster

Re: The infamous Installation must be finished from the original IP address

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Brian,

This is a bit confusing. If this was a migration, why is it that you're having an "install" error? If you have you original working installation it is then just a matter of backing up your moodle and moodledata directories along with the moodle database, restore them in the new server and do the final adjustments (config.php, db).

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Moodle_migration

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Brian LaMaster -

You would THINK that would be the case. But as I've learned in my years in IT, NOTHING ever goes as planned. thoughtful

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Did anyone think to keep the old moodledata and sql dump from the old server?  Might have to go back a couple of steps to move forward at this point.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Guillermo Madero -

That is so true!

I guess I would try and search through the whole DB to see if the original IP is saved somewhere. I think I would also try to see if that info is saved in a text file.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Brian LaMaster -

Where might that text file be and what would I be looking for as far as a name?

by Guillermo Madero -

More than a name, I think I would search for a time stamp... ¿like the latest created, or among the latest?

I suggested looking for a file because one is used to set Moodle Maintenance mode... files used as if they were browser cookies.

---
p.s.

We actually need some Moodle developer in here to help.

There should be documentation describing these kind of things in simple terms, it would definitely save a lot of time in many instances.