Extending the classroom walls using Moodle

Extending the classroom walls using Moodle

by Jennifer Burke -
Number of replies: 4
Afternoon all,

I am logging into moodle for the first time and i am looking for advice. I about to use moodle for extend the classroom walls with an accouting module that uses case studies and presentations as its form of intstruction. I am basically going to extend the classroom walls by using the discussion forum. I am however a bit concerned that some of the accounting students will not discuss online as it is sometimes difficult to discuss topics in class. Has anyone who has already used the discussion forum in this way any ideas for me.

Regards
Jennifer
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Burke

Re: Extending the classroom walls using Moodle

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To be quick: I would suggest making it an assessable component. For example, 20% of the total grade could be based on their online participation.

You should set the ground rules for online discussion early (either what you expect or what the class negotiates as a goal) and do your best to facilitate and moderate everybody toward these goals. With luck you will be pleasantly surprised (but watch for the lurkers!).

What sort of topics are you planning to discuss?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jennifer Burke -
It is mainly case studies regarding financial institutions - business types, market stratgies, business dynamics etc. It is relatively tedious boring information that i thought a discussion forum, if directly correctly, might help stir up further ideas online.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Jennifer
In reply to Jennifer Burke

by David Lamotte -
Well I hope that this isn't a case of the 'blind leading the blind', but I am using moodle for my first online course in a similar manner. The site is at http://tafe.david-lamotte.net, but there isn't much to see.

My students are completing an Information Technology project and in previous years another teacher acted as the client, and they determined the requirements etc.

This year I have started using moodle to facilitate the communication between client and project manager, with the students fulfilling both roles.

Each student is completing their own project, but also acts as the client for another student. This means that during the requirements analysis phase, they get to ask questions and also be asked questions by another student.

All interactions take place in a social forum, and I have prepared a case study to assist the 'client' to answer the questions. Because I can monitor the communications, I can jump in with extra information or guidance if required.

We have only been going for a few weeks, but even at this stage I am seeing some benefits. The students are learning from each other as a few have commented that they were impressed by some of the questions that they were asked, and have subsequently incorporated similar analysis with their 'clients'.

I also use a common Topic based course to distribute the theoretical material and manage the course.

As an aside, this is an instance where 'groups' would have been handy to seperate them into their cohorts.

Hope that this has helped,
David

In reply to David Lamotte

by Ann Shultz -
David,
I've been visiting your course on Linux as a guest and wanted to thank you for making it available. Seeing how people set up their classrooms is a big help to me. Hence, reading lots of forums on Moodle and finding your post from 2 years ago!

I'm using Moodle to teach online prof. devel. courses for teachers in Massachusetts, have been for a year now, but I need better course design and plan to use the the zero block to post resources as you've done and keep the rest of the 'room' fairly clean.

Thanks again for letting me have a look!

Ann