Main file in files resource for courses upgraded from 1.9 -> 2.2

Main file in files resource for courses upgraded from 1.9 -> 2.2

by John Coughlin -
Number of replies: 0

Hi...

We are about to upgrade from 1.9 to 2.2 and I've noticed some unusual behavior.

In 2.2, if I create a course, then add a file resource, and upload / assign  a file into that resource, the file will automatically be selected as "main file". Similarly, if I upload/assign multiple files to the resource, the first file I added will be set as the main file. If I delete the main file, the first file in the list will become the main file. My point is that in all cases, Moodle is designating a main file, even if I don't do so myself.

This doesn't appear to be the case for courses that are upgraded from 1.9 to 2.2. For example, if I upgrade our 1.9 environment to 2.2, then go into a file resource with a single file, the file is NOT designated as the main file (ie, it's not bolded). In other words, the resource appears to be in a condition that isn't possible when I add NEW file resources into 2.2.

What makes this especially strange is that if I have a multi-file resource in an upgraded 1.9 course (say a web site or a camtasia video file set), Moodle seems to magically know which is the main file of the set, even though it is not indicated in the interface. For instance, a camtasia video set is usually made up of five files, the index one being a *.html file. If I look at the file resource for a camtasia video on a course upgraded from 1.9 to 2.2, I will see all five files in the "select files" area (when I edit the resource), but none of them will be marked as the main file (in other words, none will be bolded). Despite this, Moodle still seems to know that the html file is the index file, and the resource will display correctly.

This tells me that there is a disconnect in how moodle determines the main file from a content delivery standpoint and how it displays the main file in the interface (at least for a course carried through the 1.9 - > 2.2 upgrade process).

Note, too, that in the case of camtasia videos, if I upload all five files to a newly created file resource in a 2.2 course, and DON'T set the html file as the "main file", the resource will not display correctly. So basically, upgraded 1.9 resources appear to be working under conditions that would break newly created 2.2 resources.

Anyway, this tentatively seems like a bug to me, and I was wondering if anyone else has information or opinions about these observations. Thanks! - John

Average of ratings: -