Timed questions - Possible?

Timed questions - Possible?

by Mark G -
Number of replies: 7

Hope someone can help.... smile

I need to make a quiz that is based on say ... 5 seconds per question...then the quiz would automatically move to the next question - without the ability to move backwards. Can this be done? This is not the same as the total quiz being...say 20 minutes long - which I know i can do, but rather a short period of time to calculate a numeric question, then moves on to the next question etc...

Thanks

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark G

Re: Timed questions - Possible?

by Itamar Tzadok -

Yes but to no avail. With the moodle quiz you can only javascript this behavior but javascript can be easily worked around. You should probably consider flash or some other such platform that is integrated with moodle for this purpose. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Mark G -

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate that. I need this to work on the iPad, so flash may not be an option...anything else that could do this?

In reply to Mark G

by Itamar Tzadok -

Add the request to the tracker if it doesn't already exist. Until the request is addressed you would probably need to develop a custom question type(s). smile

In reply to Mark G

by Alex Saavedra -

I also need this feature. Right now I'm trying to get familiar with YUI, in order to write a module for 2.2.

In reply to Alex Saavedra

by Itamar Tzadok -

The module could be fairly simple, showing a timer and disabling the input fields on elapsed time. But as I mentioned above this could be easily worked around and so you need also to store question attempt start time and check elapsed on attempt save. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Alex Saavedra -

Itamar,

Thank you for the answer. The Moodle project I'm working on requires audio recording to assess language proficiency. Thus no simple input field is involved.

In this scenario, highly controlled environment is crucial to standardize testing conditions. For instance, an audio recording is played once (and only once); then the student is allocated a preparation time (typically 20 seconds); finally, the student can record his answer (one shot only), which has a timed limit as well (usually 60 seconds).

When timeout is reached, the student should be automatically sent to the next question.

I understand this strictly timed and linear scenario doesn't align with Moodle's spirit of learning. But it's a common setting among language assessment centres, where the focus relies on estimating the student's current language level, rather than enhancing the learning experience.

A. Saavedra

In reply to Alex Saavedra

by Itamar Tzadok -

Moodle's spirit of learning is fairly open, just like its source and your strictly timed and linear scenario has its place in it. The problem is rather technical and stems from the fact that in a web application the server cannot control what is executed on the client side by scripting. If the assessment is done in a lab with cctv rather than from the student's home, client side effects should be reasonably controllable. Also the time frames you suggest are quite tight to allow substantial tweaks by the user.

Perhaps the dataform may be used for this purpose. If each item is an entry, entry editing/submission may have a duration after which it is denied. Last time I checked the dataform nanogong field worked so audio playback and recording is also available. We can look in the details and see how close it can get to what you need. smile