How to get Log in block to display - pre login

How to get Log in block to display - pre login

by Jason De Donno -
Number of replies: 7

Hi

I am having no luck getting blocks to display on the pre-login front page, and need to know if there is some kind of error or whether it's just me not doing thigns right.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason De Donno

Re: How to get Log in block to display - pre login

by Jason De Donno -

This is version 2.2.2 btw.

I have full access to the server, if there is any variable, database entry or page that need tweaking.

by Rosario Carcò -

Did you check the configuration options of every block in Administration->Modules&Plugins->Blocks. I guess they can be configured to appear only on course pages, or on the frontpage, and so on. But of course everything depends on the content to be displayed whether the user has to log in first to be allowed to see it. Normally block code checks whether the actual user is allowed to see the contents to be displayed and if not, returns an empty content string so that the block is not even rendered, not even as box.

Rosario

In reply to Rosario Carcò

by Jason De Donno -

Hi

Firstly, thanks for the reply.

In Moodle 2.2.2, I have:

Site Administration > Plugins > Blocks

and then the following choices.

If I go for "Manage Block" I come to a screen with a list of all the blocks used on the site, with the following controls:

Name

Instances

Version

Hide/Show

Protect from deleteHelp with Protect from delete

Delete

Settings

None of them appear to offer control over whether the block appears pre log-in or not.

by Jason De Donno -

This got fixed almost accidently. I added a new theme (one I cloned) to the theme directory, when the next time I logged in, an "upgrade" was carried out...to install the theme.

I'm not sure why this happened, but after this upgrade, all the blocks that had previously not been working properly now work as they should!!! The login block now appears correctly on the front page.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Personally I think you were trying to achive too much in a short space of time, and not giving Moodle time to recover. There is more going on under the Moodle hood than you realise.

But glad you got this fixed.

smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jason De Donno -

Perhaps, but it is interesting that this "upgrade" fixed everything. It seems that a series of checks and fixeds were carried out.  It would be good if initiate this process manually, now and again.

by Rosario Carcò -

I fear I did not understand correctly what your problem was. And you are right, no settings in manage Blocks to decide on which pages they should appear. This is an option the programmer sets in the Block's code. And the login-Block is typically one of those that is programmed to appear on the FrontPage.

So I think your problem might have been related do a simple theme-issue. Nothing to do with a major upgrade unless your whole Moodle base/code were damaged/corrupt for some reason. And no need to periodically repeat such "cleaning-woodoo" (never touch a running system unless there are official upgrades to implement).