Gradebook

Picture of Joyce Twing
Re: problems using gradebook in moodle2

Hello, Everyone --

This post is an attempt to help prevent a mass outburst of swearing and yelling to those who try to use the Gradebook in Moodle 2.

The scroll bar in the Gradebook in Moodle 1.9 was at the bottom of the browser.  It is now at the bottom of the Gradebook.  If you have more than a dozen students, you can't see the scroll bar and the top column of the Gradebook (categories and grade items) on the same screen.  If you are someone who -- like me -- enters all your categories and grade items when you create the class, it will be impossible to find a particular grade item when you use the scroll bar, but can't see the top column.  It makes you want to poke yourself right in both eyes with a sharp stick in about 30 seconds of trying to find a particular grade item.

Yesterday -- entirely by accident -- I figured out how to navigate the Gradebook without any need to use the scroll bar.  Simply go to the top column where you have entered your categories and grade items and click in an empty area in that top column.  Once you have done that, the back arrow and the forward arrow will allow you to navigate anywhere through the items in that column.  If you don't click in the column first, the arrows won't work. When the arrows do work, there is no need to use the scroll bar.  It is like magic!

Hope this helps!

Joyce Twing
Vermont Technical College
Randolph Center, Vermont

Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: problems using gradebook in moodle2
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'd again suggest LAE Grader, used by schools all over the world.  Our location is changed as it is packaged with the CLAMP LAE version of Moodle so you'd:

1. get the latest LAE versions of Moodle at CLAMP
  2. extract grade/report/laegrader
  3. place in your moodle instance
  4. run notifications